Where could I get a good overview of IMCP - *NOT* ICMP - TCP-IP

This is a discussion on Where could I get a good overview of IMCP - *NOT* ICMP - TCP-IP ; Recently at work I came across the IMCP protocol - Internet Message Control Protocol, unlike ICMP - Internet Control Message Protocol. Googling 'IMCP' did not provide much help. Could someone provide some pointers to a site where I could get ...

  1. Where could I get a good overview of IMCP - *NOT* ICMP

    Recently at work I came across the IMCP protocol - Internet Message
    Control Protocol, unlike ICMP - Internet Control Message Protocol.
    Googling 'IMCP' did not provide much help. Could someone provide some
    pointers to a site where I could get a good overview of this? Thanks
    in advance for your help.

  2. Re: Where could I get a good overview of IMCP - *NOT* ICMP

    wrote:

    > Recently at work I came across the IMCP protocol - Internet Message
    > Control Protocol, unlike ICMP - Internet Control Message Protocol.
    > Googling 'IMCP' did not provide much help. Could someone provide some
    > pointers to a site where I could get a good overview of this? Thanks
    > in advance for your help.

    My recommendation in these cases is to go right to the RFC listing.

    http://www.ietf.org/iesg/1rfc_index.txt

    The basic ICMP description is in RFC 792, and it is amplified in two
    other RFCs.

    To read the RFCs, you go to

    http://www.ietf.org/rfc.html

    and simply type in the RFC number. Mostly, they are very readable and
    they usually explain clearly why they designed the protocol as they did.

    Bert

  3. Re: Where could I get a good overview of IMCP - *NOT* ICMP

    In article ,
    "Albert Manfredi" wrote:

    > wrote:
    >
    > > Recently at work I came across the IMCP protocol - Internet Message
    > > Control Protocol, unlike ICMP - Internet Control Message Protocol.
    > > Googling 'IMCP' did not provide much help. Could someone provide some
    > > pointers to a site where I could get a good overview of this? Thanks
    > > in advance for your help.

    > My recommendation in these cases is to go right to the RFC listing.
    >
    > http://www.ietf.org/iesg/1rfc_index.txt
    >
    > The basic ICMP description is in RFC 792, and it is amplified in two
    > other RFCs.

    But which RFC describes IMCP? I.e. what part of "*NOT* ICMP" was hard
    to understand?

    --
    Barry Margolin, barmar@alum.mit.edu
    Arlington, MA

  4. Re: Where could I get a good overview of IMCP - *NOT* ICMP

    On Sep 3, 11:14 am, "cpptutor2...@yahoo.com"
    wrote:
    > Recently at work I came across the IMCP protocol - Internet Message
    > Control Protocol, unlike ICMP - Internet Control Message Protocol.
    > Googling 'IMCP' did not provide much help. Could someone provide some
    > pointers to a site where I could get a good overview of this? Thanks
    > in advance for your help.

    Do you have some more context for this protocol? I've never heard of
    it. There's an IPCP in PPP, ICCP used by power companies, and IFCP is
    for the fiber-channel version of iSCSI. That's all that comes to mind
    for protocols in the IxCP pattern...

  5. Re: Where could I get a good overview of IMCP - *NOT* ICMP

    In article <1188968047.497886.134600@g4g2000hsf.googlegroups.c om>,
    robertwessel2@yahoo.com wrote:
    >On Sep 3, 11:14 am, "cpptutor2...@yahoo.com"
    >wrote:
    >> Recently at work I came across the IMCP protocol - Internet Message
    >> Control Protocol, unlike ICMP - Internet Control Message Protocol.
    >> Googling 'IMCP' did not provide much help.

    >Do you have some more context for this protocol?

    My guess the same as Google's answer to
    http://www.google.com/search?q=IMCP+...ol+Protocol%22
    That is to ask
    Did you mean: ICMP "Internet Message Control Protocol"
    and then give a bunch of hits that look like typos of IMCP for ICMP.

    Vernon Schryver vjs@rhyolite.com

+ Reply to Thread