DHCP Message Type - TCP-IP

This is a discussion on DHCP Message Type - TCP-IP ; Hello I am looking for informations decribing if the "DHCP Message Type" option must always be on first position on the DHCP message or if any option can be on any order. Anybody an idea on this topics wouls help ...

  1. DHCP Message Type

    Hello

    I am looking for informations decribing if the "DHCP Message Type"
    option must always be on first position on the DHCP message or if any
    option can be on any order.
    Anybody an idea on this topics wouls help me.

    Many thanks and best regards
    Michel

  2. Re: DHCP Message Type

    michlemer@yahoo.fr writes:
    > I am looking for informations decribing if the "DHCP Message Type"
    > option must always be on first position on the DHCP message or if any
    > option can be on any order.
    > Anybody an idea on this topics wouls help me.

    Nothing in the standards requires it to be first, but I wouldn't be
    surprised at all to find that some implementations fail if it's not
    first.

    Thus, a prudent implementation would always place the option first in
    any message it sends (and would likely carefully order other options
    as well), and would accept the options in any order in messages it
    receives.

    --
    James Carlson, Solaris Networking