ftp and ping problems with windows xp - TCP-IP

This is a discussion on ftp and ping problems with windows xp - TCP-IP ; Hi, my PC runs well on the network (internet, messenging,..) but I cannot startt any ftp session on any server (the ftp connects but no command issues: time out). I see also that my PC does not accept any ping. ...

  1. ftp and ping problems with windows xp

    Hi,
    my PC runs well on the network (internet, messenging,..) but I cannot
    startt any ftp session on any server (the ftp connects but no command
    issues: time out). I see also that my PC does not accept any ping. the
    firewall is stopped and the ipsec service is stopped.
    any idea ?

  2. Re: ftp and ping problems with windows xp

    On 2 Sep, 14:32, Jean-Didier Pons
    wrote:
    > Hi,
    > my PC runs well on the network (internet, messenging,..) but I cannot
    > startt any ftp session on any server (the ftp connects but no command
    > issues: time out). I see also that my PC does not accept any ping. the
    > firewall is stopped and the ipsec service is stopped.
    > any idea ?

    In order for FTP to connect it usually needs to issue few commands and
    log you in - does it do that? Do you get the ftp prompt?
    You PC "does not accept any ping"? Where from? You can not "ping
    localhost"? Nobody can ping your PC from the internet?

  3. Re: ftp and ping problems with windows xp

    Thank you for your answer:
    ftp: I get the ftp prompt, O can log on the ftp server, but all commands
    (ls, get, ..) fail (the ftp server tries to get in my PC without result
    ping: no PC can get any answer when pinging my PC on the LAN (either at
    home or at work ==> different LAN's
    JD

    GArlington wrote:

    >On 2 Sep, 14:32, Jean-Didier Pons
    >wrote:
    >

    >>Hi,
    >>my PC runs well on the network (internet, messenging,..) but I cannot
    >>startt any ftp session on any server (the ftp connects but no command
    >>issues: time out). I see also that my PC does not accept any ping. the
    >>firewall is stopped and the ipsec service is stopped.
    >>any idea ?
    >>

    >In order for FTP to connect it usually needs to issue few commands and
    >log you in - does it do that? Do you get the ftp prompt?
    >You PC "does not accept any ping"? Where from? You can not "ping
    >localhost"? Nobody can ping your PC from the internet?

  4. Re: ftp and ping problems with windows xp

    [ Please, please, please don't toppost! And please, please, please don't
    sent any html. ]

    On Thu, 06 Sep 2007 19:34:23 +0200, Jean-Didier Pons wrote:

    > GArlington wrote:
    >
    >>On 2 Sep, 14:32, Jean-Didier Pons wrote:
    >>

    >>>Hi,
    >>>my PC runs well on the network (internet, messenging,..) but I cannot
    >>>startt any ftp session on any server (the ftp connects but no command
    >>>issues: time out). I see also that my PC does not accept any ping. the
    >>>firewall is stopped and the ipsec service is stopped. any idea ?
    >>>

    >>In order for FTP to connect it usually needs to issue few commands and
    >>log you in - does it do that? Do you get the ftp prompt? You PC "does
    >>not accept any ping"? Where from? You can not "ping localhost"? Nobody
    >>can ping your PC from the internet?
    >>

    > Thank you for your answer:
    > ftp: I get the ftp prompt, O can log on the ftp server, but all commands
    > (ls, get, ..) fail (the ftp server tries to get in my PC without result
    > ping: no PC can get any answer when pinging my PC on the LAN (either at
    > home or at work ==> different LAN's

    Typical firewall or NAT issue. FTP uses data connections to get transfers
    done. This is not only for get and put, but also for ls. So either there
    is a firewall that does not understand ftp data channels, a natting
    router that does not understand ftp data channels, or, most likely, a
    natting firewall that does not understand ftp data channels.

    A quick solution would be to change to passive ftp. That usually solves
    these kinds of problems.

    HTH,
    M4

  5. Re: ftp and ping problems with windows xp

    In article <46E03A1F.2020706@wanadoo.fr>,
    Jean-Didier Pons wrote:

    > Thank you for your answer:
    > ftp: I get the ftp prompt, O can log on the ftp server, but all commands
    > (ls, get, ..) fail (the ftp server tries to get in my PC without result
    > ping: no PC can get any answer when pinging my PC on the LAN (either at
    > home or at work ==> different LAN's

    This suggests that there's a problem establishing the data connection.
    Does your FTP client let you switch between active and passive mode?
    Try toggling this.

    --
    Barry Margolin, barmar@alum.mit.edu
    Arlington, MA

  6. Re: ftp and ping problems with windows xp

    In article , Martijn Lievaart writes:
    > [ Please, please, please don't toppost! And please, please, please don't
    > sent any html. ]
    >
    > On Thu, 06 Sep 2007 19:34:23 +0200, Jean-Didier Pons wrote:
    >
    >> GArlington wrote:

    >>>In order for FTP to connect it usually needs to issue few commands and
    >>>log you in - does it do that? Do you get the ftp prompt? You PC "does
    >>>not accept any ping"? Where from? You can not "ping localhost"? Nobody
    >>>can ping your PC from the internet?
    >>>

    >> Thank you for your answer:
    >> ftp: I get the ftp prompt, O can log on the ftp server, but all commands
    >> (ls, get, ..) fail (the ftp server tries to get in my PC without result
    >> ping: no PC can get any answer when pinging my PC on the LAN (either at
    >> home or at work ==> different LAN's

    > Typical firewall or NAT issue. FTP uses data connections to get transfers
    > done. This is not only for get and put, but also for ls. So either there
    > is a firewall that does not understand ftp data channels, a natting
    > router that does not understand ftp data channels, or, most likely, a
    > natting firewall that does not understand ftp data channels.

    Although those problems may exist, there's a smoking gun much
    closer to home.

    Nobody on the local LAN can ping him. It's almost certain that he's
    still got some sort of firewall functionality running on the local PC
    despite his attempts to turn it off.

    He needs to get PING working before he starts looking for issues on
    routers or natting firewalls.

    > A quick solution would be to change to passive ftp. That usually solves
    > these kinds of problems.

    Yes.

    In FTP active mode, the data connections are initiated by the FTP server
    and come inbound to the client workstation. Client firewalls tend to
    object to inbound connections. In FTP passive mode, the data connections
    are initiated by the FTP client and are outbound from the client
    workstation. Client firewalls tend to be much less picky about outbound
    connections.

    The Microsoft command line FTP client only does active mode. You
    cannot command it into passive mode.

    The FTP functionality built into most web browsers uses passive mode
    by default.

    (Quick test: browse to FTP://username@ftpserver/directoryname)

    The FTP functionality provided by downloadable FTP clients usually does
    passive mode by default and almost universally allows the mode
    to be overridden by the user.

  7. Re: ftp and ping problems with windows xp

    briggs@encompasserve.org wrote:

    >>done. This is not only for get and put, but also for ls. So either there
    >>is a firewall that does not understand ftp data channels, a natting
    >>router that does not understand ftp data channels, or, most likely, a
    >>natting firewall that does not understand ftp data channels.
    >>

    >Although those problems may exist, there's a smoking gun much
    >closer to home.
    >
    >Nobody on the local LAN can ping him. It's almost certain that he's
    >still got some sort of firewall functionality running on the local PC
    >despite his attempts to turn it off.
    >
    >He needs to get PING working before he starts looking for issues on
    >routers or natting firewalls.

    Yes I totally agree. It seems that a ,firewall prevents from getting
    into my PC altough no firewall is active

    thanks for all comments

    >>A quick solution would be to change to passive ftp. That usually solves
    >>these kinds of problems.
    >>

    >Yes.
    >
    >In FTP active mode, the data connections are initiated by the FTP server
    >and come inbound to the client workstation. Client firewalls tend to
    >object to inbound connections. In FTP passive mode, the data connections
    >are initiated by the FTP client and are outbound from the client
    >workstation. Client firewalls tend to be much less picky about outbound
    >connections.
    >
    >The Microsoft command line FTP client only does active mode. You
    >cannot command it into passive mode.
    >
    >The FTP functionality built into most web browsers uses passive mode
    >by default.
    >
    >(Quick test: browse to FTP://username@ftpserver/directoryname)
    >
    >The FTP functionality provided by downloadable FTP clients usually does
    >passive mode by default and almost universally allows the mode
    >to be overridden by the user.

  8. Re: ftp and ping problems with windows xp

    On Fri, 07 Sep 2007 18:35:56 +0200, Jean-Didier Pons wrote:

    >>He needs to get PING working before he starts looking for issues on
    >>routers or natting firewalls.
    >>

    > Yes I totally agree. It seems that a ,firewall prevents from getting
    > into my PC altough no firewall is active

    If you cannot ping your PC on the local LAN, but can set up an (only
    partial functioning) ftp session, there must be a firewall on that PC.

    However, it does not hurt to try passive FTP to see if that works.
    Filezilla is my favorite.

    M4

  9. Re: ftp and ping problems with windows xp

    Jean-Didier Pons wrote:

    > Yes I totally agree. It seems that a ,firewall prevents from getting
    > into my PC altough no firewall is active
    >
    > thanks for all comments

    Let's keep this thread going, please.....I have the exact same problem
    with my laptop and my desktop PCs, both running WinXP.

  10. Re: ftp and ping problems with windows xp

    <46dabb79$0$25932$ba4acef3@news.orange.fr>, Jean-Didier
    Pons wrote:
    > Hi,
    > my PC runs well on the network (internet, messenging,..) but I cannot
    > startt any ftp session on any server (the ftp connects but no command
    > issues: time out). I see also that my PC does not accept any ping. the
    > firewall is stopped and the ipsec service is stopped.
    > any idea ?

    Probably not the issue, but my new DSL modem had the FTP protocol blocked by
    default. Once I finally realized that it was only FTP that was being
    blocked I was able to remove the block.

    Frank

+ Reply to Thread