This is a discussion on Networking - A Must Read!!! - TCP-IP ; Excellent resource on networking: http://www.brsx.co.uk/Networking/FAQs/faqs.asp...

  1. Networking - A Must Read!!!

    Excellent resource on networking:

    http://www.brsx.co.uk/Networking/FAQs/faqs.asp

  2. Re: Networking - A Must Read!!!

    In article <1188389162.747579.53720@k79g2000hse.googlegroups.c om>,
    "david.boon77@gmail.com" wrote:

    > Excellent resource on networking:

    I wo't even bother looking. In general, the value of a referenced site
    is inversely proportional to the hyperbole and number of "!" used to
    promote it.

    --
    Barry Margolin, barmar@alum.mit.edu
    Arlington, MA

  3. Re: Networking - A Must Read!!!

    In article , Barry Margolin wrote:
    >In article <1188389162.747579.53720@k79g2000hse.googlegroups.c om>,
    > "david.boon77@gmail.com" wrote:
    >
    >> Excellent resource on networking:

    >I wo't even bother looking. In general, the value of a referenced site
    >is inversely proportional to the hyperbole and number of "!" used to
    >promote it.

    Would you place "The TCP/IP Guide" by Kozierok in the same category if I said
    it was without question the single most comprehensive and detailed TCP/IP
    overview out there? The 1500 page book is a must for any networking
    bookshelf:
    http://www.tcpipguide.com/free/index.htm

    -Hank

  4. Re: Networking - A Must Read!!!

    In article ,
    Hank Nussbacher wrote:

    >>I wo't even bother looking. In general, the value of a referenced site
    >>is inversely proportional to the hyperbole and number of "!" used to
    >>promote it.

    >Would you place "The TCP/IP Guide" by Kozierok in the same category if I said
    >it was without question the single most comprehensive and detailed TCP/IP
    >overview out there? The 1500 page book is a must for any networking
    >bookshelf:
    >http://www.tcpipguide.com/free/index.htm

    I just now looked at a several pages. Before I reach the first technical
    information I found so many unnecessary words that it passes verbose
    and reaches logorrheic before finding any technical information. The
    first diagram of a packet I found gets things wrong. As I continued,
    I kept finding more errors, approximately one error per substantive topic.

    Vernon Schryver vjs@rhyolite.com

  5. Re: Networking - A Must Read!!!

    On Thu, 30 Aug 2007 13:44:40 +0000, Vernon Schryver wrote:

    > In article , Hank Nussbacher
    > wrote:
    >
    >>>I wo't even bother looking. In general, the value of a referenced site
    >>>is inversely proportional to the hyperbole and number of "!" used to
    >>>promote it.

    >>Would you place "The TCP/IP Guide" by Kozierok in the same category if I
    >>said it was without question the single most comprehensive and detailed
    >>TCP/IP overview out there? The 1500 page book is a must for any
    >>networking bookshelf:
    >>http://www.tcpipguide.com/free/index.htm

    > I just now looked at a several pages. Before I reach the first
    > technical information I found so many unnecessary words that it passes
    > verbose and reaches logorrheic before finding any technical information.
    > The first diagram of a packet I found gets things wrong. As I
    > continued, I kept finding more errors, approximately one error per
    > substantive topic.

    Agreed, besides the organization is illogical. Why describe classful
    addressing in length and only in the last part of the chapter say
    something about CIDR? Which is described in terms of classful addressing
    making it needlessly complex, if historically correct.

    M4

  6. Re: Networking - A Must Read!!!

    In article ,
    Martijn Lievaart wrote:

    >>>http://www.tcpipguide.com/free/index.htm

    >> I just now looked at a several pages. Before I reach the first
    >> technical information I found so many unnecessary words that it passes
    >> verbose and reaches logorrheic before finding any technical information.
    >> The first diagram of a packet I found gets things wrong. As I
    >> continued, I kept finding more errors, approximately one error per
    >> substantive topic.

    >Agreed, besides the organization is illogical. Why describe classful
    >addressing in length and only in the last part of the chapter say
    >something about CIDR? Which is described in terms of classful addressing
    >making it needlessly complex, if historically correct.

    On the contrary, the description of classful addressing is one of the
    sections I looked at and found incorrect. There is no doubt the author
    would consider that error and the others I found insignificant, but
    that is emblematic of the problems with tomes like this. A certain
    amount of humility is required to write good textbooks.

    Vernon Schryver vjs@rhyolite.com

+ Reply to Thread