ethernet - TCP/IP - PPP - TCP-IP

This is a discussion on ethernet - TCP/IP - PPP - TCP-IP ; hello all, I am using two devices these are connected on ethernet LAN ,one device transfers the message packets with high speed and another device (using point to point protocol)(slow access device) receives the messages , the bridging is through ...

  1. ethernet - TCP/IP - PPP

    hello all,

    I am using two devices these are connected on ethernet
    LAN ,one device transfers the message packets with high speed and
    another device (using point to point protocol)(slow access device)
    receives the messages , the bridging is through TCP/IP protocol.as the
    1 st device sending the messages in high speed the second device is
    not capable to receive all the messages.So the ethernet buffers are
    running out of memory and the first device is getting restartd.Can any
    one provide the solutions to increase the ether net memory ....or waht
    ever it may ....ethernet chip is cs8900a.

  2. Re: ethernet - TCP/IP - PPP

    In article <1187869860.999818.124520@m37g2000prh.googlegroups. com>,
    raaj wrote:

    > hello all,
    >
    > I am using two devices these are connected on ethernet
    > LAN ,one device transfers the message packets with high speed and
    > another device (using point to point protocol)(slow access device)
    > receives the messages , the bridging is through TCP/IP protocol.as the
    > 1 st device sending the messages in high speed the second device is
    > not capable to receive all the messages.So the ethernet buffers are
    > running out of memory and the first device is getting restartd.Can any
    > one provide the solutions to increase the ether net memory ....or waht
    > ever it may ....ethernet chip is cs8900a.

    No matter how much you increase it, if you continue to send faster than
    you can receive you'll eventually fill up the receive buffers.

    You should use TCP as your transport protocol. It uses windows and
    acknowledgements so that the sender is restricted in how quickly it can
    send, and learns which packets were received.

    --
    Barry Margolin, barmar@alum.mit.edu
    Arlington, MA