question on ping and traceroute - TCP-IP

This is a discussion on question on ping and traceroute - TCP-IP ; Hi iam new to Tcp/ip suite can any one please answer this question 1) If i ping to google.com there might be several routers in between let us say R1, R2,R3,R4 what happens when packet visits R1,R2,R3,R4 do we get ...

  1. question on ping and traceroute

    Hi iam new to Tcp/ip suite can any one please answer this
    question
    1) If i ping to google.com there might be several routers in between
    let us say R1, R2,R3,R4
    what happens when packet visits R1,R2,R3,R4 do we get reply packets
    from there to r from direct google.com
    2) if Tracert to google what happens when the request packet visits at
    respective routers

  2. Re: question on ping and traceroute

    "linuxsrbabu@gmail.com" writes:
    > Hi iam new to Tcp/ip suite can any one please answer this
    > question
    > 1) If i ping to google.com there might be several routers in between
    > let us say R1, R2,R3,R4
    > what happens when packet visits R1,R2,R3,R4 do we get reply packets
    > from there to r from direct google.com

    Ping should be answered only by the destination, unless there's a
    delivery error.

    > 2) if Tracert to google what happens when the request packet visits at
    > respective routers

    They're sent with increasing TTLs, starting at 1. Each router that
    decrements the TTL to 0 sends back an ICMP error, and that's what
    produces the report you see.

    --
    James Carlson, Solaris Networking