Question on fragmentation - TCP-IP

This is a discussion on Question on fragmentation - TCP-IP ; HI to all, Iam new to tcp/ip protocols can any one can Please answer this question >1) If we want to send a 10mb file from system1to system2 through >Ethernet how the 10mb transfer take place through Tcp and udp ...

  1. Question on fragmentation

    HI to all,
    Iam new to tcp/ip protocols can any one can Please
    answer this question

    >1) If we want to send a 10mb file from system1to system2 through
    >Ethernet how the 10mb transfer take place through Tcp and udp
    >A few questions of mine
    >1) where fragmentation will take place will it in ip layer or in tcp
    >or in both
    >2)since fragmentation fields are there in ip, if we think ip will
    >fragment the datagram, how tcp will
    >segment this 10mb file
    >3) what is the size of each segment.

  2. Re: Question on fragmentation

    "linuxsrbabu@gmail.com" writes:
    > HI to all,
    > Iam new to tcp/ip protocols can any one can Please
    > answer this question

    You forgot the word "homework" in there somewhere.

    > >1) If we want to send a 10mb file from system1to system2 through
    > >Ethernet how the 10mb transfer take place through Tcp and udp
    > >A few questions of mine
    > >1) where fragmentation will take place will it in ip layer or in tcp
    > >or in both

    TCP doesn't do fragmentation, it does _segmentation_.

    If you send via UDP, you can get IP fragmentation. If you send via
    TCP, you should never get IP fragmentation, but TCP always segments.

    > >2)since fragmentation fields are there in ip, if we think ip will
    > >fragment the datagram, how tcp will
    > >segment this 10mb file

    It depends on the MSS. Assuming an MSS of 1460 and that 10MB ==
    10*2^20 (no way to tell what units you were using), you might see 7182
    full segments and one segment with 40 bytes of payload.

    > >3) what is the size of each segment.

    As above. I don't think that's a separate question.

    --
    James Carlson, Solaris Networking

  3. Re: Question on fragmentation

    On Aug 23, 12:01 am, "linuxsrb...@gmail.com"
    wrote:

    > >1) If we want to send a 10mb file from system1to system2 through
    > >Ethernet how the 10mb transfer take place through Tcp and udp
    > >A few questions of mine

    Sending fractions of a bit is a *very* advanced concept.

    DS

+ Reply to Thread