Location in Company from IP Address - TCP-IP

This is a discussion on Location in Company from IP Address - TCP-IP ; Dear all, I got a ip address which is used through DHCP. Now I want to cancel this IP . But I cannot locate which machine is using this IP. The machine will be a Workstation, Printer or Router. How ...

  1. Location in Company from IP Address

    Dear all,

    I got a ip address which is used through DHCP. Now I want to
    cancel this IP . But
    I cannot locate which machine is using this IP. The machine will be a
    Workstation, Printer or
    Router. How can I locate the machine? Thanks

  2. Re: Location in Company from IP Address

    In article <1187161529.945688.88680@l22g2000prc.googlegroups.c om>,
    hon123456 wrote:
    > I got a ip address which is used through DHCP. Now I want to
    >cancel this IP . But
    >I cannot locate which machine is using this IP. The machine will be a
    >Workstation, Printer or
    >Router. How can I locate the machine? Thanks

    ping it and look in the ARP cache to find its MAC

    From that you can determine the manufacturer of the device
    http://coffer.com/mac_find/

    --
    -- Rod --
    rodd(at)polylogics(dot)com

  3. Re: Location in Company from IP Address

    On 8 16 , 2 42 , r...@panix.com (Rod Dorman) wrote:
    > In article <1187161529.945688.88...@l22g2000prc.googlegroups.c om>,
    >
    > hon123456 wrote:
    > > I got a ip address which is used through DHCP. Now I want to
    > >cancel this IP . But
    > >I cannot locate which machine is using this IP. The machine will be a
    > >Workstation, Printer or
    > >Router. How can I locate the machine? Thanks

    > ping it and look in the ARP cache to find its MAC
    >
    > From that you can determine the manufacturer of the devicehttp://coffer.com/mac_find/
    >
    > --
    > -- Rod --
    > rodd(at)polylogics(dot)com

    Thanks Rod. But I do not know how to look in the ARP cache to find
    the MAC.
    Can u type example command to show how to look in the ARP cache ?

    Thanks.

  4. Re: Location in Company from IP Address

    In article <1187228861.225838.155630@g12g2000prg.googlegroups. com>,
    hon123456 wrote:

    >> > I got a ip address which is used through DHCP. Now I want to
    >> >cancel this IP . But
    >> >I cannot locate which machine is using this IP. The machine will be a
    >> >Workstation, Printer or
    >> >Router. How can I locate the machine? Thanks

    >> ping it and look in the ARP cache to find its MAC
    >>
    >> From that you can determine the manufacturer of the devicehttp://coffer.com/mac_find/

    >Thanks Rod. But I do not know how to look in the ARP cache to find
    >the MAC.
    >Can u type example command to show how to look in the ARP cache ?

    Try `arp -a`

    See also
    http://technet2.microsoft.com/window...7f4ee1033.mspx

    However, I wonder if "check the ARP cache to find the IEEE OUI in its
    MAC address" is a good useful answer to the original question. It is
    not only that the OUI for a single vendor can be in more than one kind
    of box. For example, I bet OUIs pointing to HP can be found for printers
    as well as workstations and that plenty of boxes with Cisco logos
    on the outside t have OUIs that those who have not been watching over the
    years which vendors Cisco has "borged" would not recognize as Cisco.

    I wonder if the question as stated is what is really wanted instead of
    something like some of the first hits for
    http://www.google.com/search?q=network+inventory

    For lots of information about IEEE OUIs see
    http://www.google.com/search?q=IEEE+OUI

    My first choice for searching a searchable list of OUIs would be the
    the official list at
    http://standards.ieee.org/regauth/oui/index.shtml
    A quick check of a name I used to know about with both web pages found
    answers at coffer.com that seem odd.

    Vernon Schryver vjs@rhyolite.com

  5. Re: Location in Company from IP Address

    On 8 16 , 12 27 , v...@calcite.rhyolite.com (Vernon Schryver) wrote:

    > >> ping it and look in the ARP cache to find its MAC

    > >> From that you can determine the manufacturer of the devicehttp://coffer.com/mac_find/

    > >Thanks Rod. But I do not know how to look in the ARP cache to find
    > >the MAC.
    > >Can u type example command to show how to look in the ARP cache ?

    > Try `arp -a`
    >
    > See alsohttp://technet2.microsoft.com/windowsserver/en/library/39e7ef09-569a-...
    >
    > However, I wonder if "check the ARP cache to find the IEEE OUI in its
    > MAC address" is a good useful answer to the original question. It is
    > not only that the OUI for a single vendor can be in more than one kind
    > of box. For example, I bet OUIs pointing to HP can be found for printers
    > as well as workstations and that plenty of boxes with Cisco logos
    > on the outside t have OUIs that those who have not been watching over the
    > years which vendors Cisco has "borged" would not recognize as Cisco.
    >
    > I wonder if the question as stated is what is really wanted instead of
    > something like some of the first hits forhttp://www.google.com/search?q=network+inventory
    >
    > For lots of information about IEEE OUIs seehttp://www.google.com/search?q=IEEE+OUI
    >
    > My first choice for searching a searchable list of OUIs would be the
    > the official list athttp://standards.ieee.org/regauth/oui/index.shtml
    > A quick check of a name I used to know about with both web pages found
    > answers at coffer.com that seem odd.
    >
    > Vernon Schryver v...@rhyolite.com

    I have type arp -a 10.129.2.226. But it says No ARP Entries found. I
    have ping
    10.129.2.226 first. But it still says No ARP Entries found.
    10.129.2.226 is
    my internal ip.

    Thanks

  6. Re: Location in Company from IP Address

    In article <1187242634.928156.54180@j4g2000prf.googlegroups.co m>,
    hon123456 wrote:

    >I have type arp -a 10.129.2.226. But it says No ARP Entries found. I
    >have ping
    >10.129.2.226 first. But it still says No ARP Entries found.
    >10.129.2.226 is
    >my internal ip.

    ping some existing -other- machine.

    The arp table isn't used to communicate from a machine to the same
    machine.

  7. Re: Location in Company from IP Address

    On 8 16 , 1 49 , rober...@hushmail.com (Walter Roberson) wrote:
    > In article <1187242634.928156.54...@j4g2000prf.googlegroups.co m>,
    >
    > hon123456 wrote:
    > >I have type arp -a 10.129.2.226. But it says No ARP Entries found. I
    > >have ping
    > >10.129.2.226 first. But it still says No ARP Entries found.
    > >10.129.2.226 is
    > >my internal ip.

    > ping some existing -other- machine.
    >
    > The arp table isn't used to communicate from a machine to the same
    > machine.

    Thanks for you all. Now I ping another machine and I can find the ARP
    data.

  8. Re: Location in Company from IP Address

    In article , rodd@panix.com (Rod Dorman)
    wrote:

    > In article <1187161529.945688.88680@l22g2000prc.googlegroups.c om>,
    > hon123456 wrote:
    > > I got a ip address which is used through DHCP. Now I want to
    > >cancel this IP . But
    > >I cannot locate which machine is using this IP. The machine will be a
    > >Workstation, Printer or
    > >Router. How can I locate the machine? Thanks

    > ping it and look in the ARP cache to find its MAC
    >
    > From that you can determine the manufacturer of the device
    > http://coffer.com/mac_find/

    That's one possible way of sleuthing, but an even easier way might be to
    just query the device with SNMP:

    $ snmpget -v 1 -c public 10.0.1.1 sysDescr.0
    SNMPv2-MIB::sysDescr.0 = STRING: Apple Base Station V3.84 Compatible

    If you're lucky, whoever installed the thing went to the trouble to
    configure a useful value for sysLocation:

    $ snmpget -v 1 -c public 10.0.1.1 sysLocation.0
    SNMPv2-MIB::sysLocation.0 = STRING: In the living room, next to the TV

    although, in a corporate environment, the string is more likely to be
    something like, "Building 45, room 1206, rack 5, shelf 3"

    The downside of this is that not everything runs SNMP. If my home WiFi
    node and my low-end ink jet printer can run SNMP, there's no excuse for
    anything in a corporate environment not doing so also, but I digress.

  9. Re: Location in Company from IP Address

    "hon123456" wrote in message
    news:1187161529.945688.88680@l22g2000prc.googlegro ups.com...
    > Dear all,
    >
    > I got a ip address which is used through DHCP. Now I want to
    > cancel this IP . But
    > I cannot locate which machine is using this IP. The machine will be a
    > Workstation, Printer or
    > Router. How can I locate the machine? Thanks

    Cancel the IP and the machine will locate itself; you will hear soon that a
    certain workstation cannot connect .. or a certain printer does not print

  10. Re: Location in Company from IP Address

    In article <_xYwi.63675$fJ5.19885@pd7urf1no>, "eager"
    wrote:

    > "hon123456" wrote in message
    > news:1187161529.945688.88680@l22g2000prc.googlegro ups.com...
    > > Dear all,
    > >
    > > I got a ip address which is used through DHCP. Now I want to
    > > cancel this IP . But
    > > I cannot locate which machine is using this IP. The machine will be a
    > > Workstation, Printer or
    > > Router. How can I locate the machine? Thanks
    > >

    > Cancel the IP and the machine will locate itself; you will hear soon that a
    > certain workstation cannot connect .. or a certain printer does not print

    Using "unplug it and wait for the phone to ring" is not always a good way
    manage your network (although I'll admit, I've used it a few times in the
    past). Here's an example of why it might be a bad idea:

    http://www.latimes.com/news/nationwo...5,1,6802259.st
    ory?coll=la-headlines-nation&ctrack=3&cset=true

  11. Re: Location in Company from IP Address

    "Roy Smith" wrote in message
    > In article <_xYwi.63675$fJ5.19885@pd7urf1no>, "eager"
    > wrote:
    >
    >> "hon123456" wrote in message
    >> news:1187161529.945688.88680@l22g2000prc.googlegro ups.com...
    >> > Dear all,
    >> >
    >> > I got a ip address which is used through DHCP. Now I want to
    >> > cancel this IP . But
    >> > I cannot locate which machine is using this IP. The machine will be a
    >> > Workstation, Printer or
    >> > Router. How can I locate the machine? Thanks
    >> >

    >> Cancel the IP and the machine will locate itself; you will hear soon that
    >> certain workstation cannot connect .. or a certain printer does not print

    > Using "unplug it and wait for the phone to ring" is not always a good way
    > manage your network (although I'll admit, I've used it a few times in the
    > past). Here's an example of why it might be a bad idea:
    >
    > http://www.latimes.com/news/nationwo...5,1,6802259.st
    > ory?coll=la-headlines-nation&ctrack=3&cset=true

    "The story you requested is available only to registered members"

  12. Re: Location in Company from IP Address

    In article , "eager"
    wrote:

    > "The story you requested is available only to registered members"

    Try http://blog.wired.com/sterling/2007/...tage-is-b.html

    or google for "LAX outage is blamed on a single computer"

    Executive summary -- somebody's desktop PC had a bad network interface and
    that started a cascade which took down the whole airport.

+ Reply to Thread