TCP Window Size - TCP-IP

This is a discussion on TCP Window Size - TCP-IP ; Hi, Let us say I am running a TCP throughput test between two endstations seperated by 3 hops. And all these three hops (routers, APs) etc. use different TCP window sizes. How does it will affect my throughput value. Consider ...

  1. TCP Window Size

    Hi,

    Let us say I am running a TCP throughput test between two endstations
    seperated by 3 hops. And all these three hops (routers, APs) etc. use
    different TCP window sizes. How does it will affect my throughput
    value.

    Consider another scenario - let us say all these three hops use same
    TCP window size. Will the resultant throughput value will be better
    than in the first scenario?

    TIA

  2. Re: TCP Window Size

    In article <1187152925.657545.152060@x35g2000prf.googlegroups. com>,
    Kalyan wrote:

    > Hi,
    >
    > Let us say I am running a TCP throughput test between two endstations
    > seperated by 3 hops. And all these three hops (routers, APs) etc. use
    > different TCP window sizes. How does it will affect my throughput
    > value.

    Your question makes no sense. TCP is in the transport layer, which
    operates end-to-end. Intermediate devices (except for proxies) don't do
    anything with the window.

    --
    Barry Margolin, barmar@alum.mit.edu
    Arlington, MA

  3. Re: TCP Window Size

    Kalyan wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > Let us say I am running a TCP throughput test between two endstations
    > seperated by 3 hops. And all these three hops (routers, APs) etc. use
    > different TCP window sizes. How does it will affect my throughput
    > value.
    >
    > Consider another scenario - let us say all these three hops use same
    > TCP window size. Will the resultant throughput value will be better
    > than in the first scenario?
    >
    > TIA

    Here is a question for you.....

    When is your homework or takehome exam due ?

+ Reply to Thread