995 ssl security - TCP-IP

This is a discussion on 995 ssl security - TCP-IP ; we use pop3 with 995 ssl security link. my question is "how secure ssl is"? reading some docs [ http://www.windowsecurity.com/articl...et_Layer.html] that peers have to exchange keys to encrypt chanel since this key exchanging happens through *public* network, isn't it a ...

  1. 995 ssl security

    we use pop3 with 995 ssl security link.
    my question is "how secure ssl is"?

    reading some docs
    [http://www.windowsecurity.com/articl...et_Layer.html]
    that peers have to exchange keys to encrypt chanel

    since this key exchanging happens through *public* network, isn't it a weak
    point?
    if keys may be "sniffed", then also whole encrypted data link may be also
    decripted by the "sniffing" party?

    so, is 995 ssl just a *good* protection tool [better than nothing] or is
    realy *strong*?
    [although not neccesserly enough strong for bank transaction system]

    any comments?

    thnx

  2. Re: 995 ssl security

    sali wrote:

    > we use pop3 with 995 ssl security link.
    > my question is "how secure ssl is"?
    >
    > reading some docs
    > [http://www.windowsecurity.com/articl...et_Layer.html]
    > that peers have to exchange keys to encrypt chanel
    >
    > since this key exchanging happens through *public* network, isn't it a weak
    > point?

    cf. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Transpo...y#How_it_works

+ Reply to Thread