non-existent domain error when axfr'ing a domain with A records? - TCP-IP

This is a discussion on non-existent domain error when axfr'ing a domain with A records? - TCP-IP ; When I run "nslookup -vc -query=axfr domain.tld x.x.x.x", I get "x.x.x.x can't find domain.tld: Non-existent domain" even though "nslookup -vc query=a domain.tld x.x.x.x" returns the correct result. Shouldn't I, if anything, be getting a "No zone transfer (AXFR) records available ...

  1. non-existent domain error when axfr'ing a domain with A records?

    When I run "nslookup -vc -query=axfr domain.tld x.x.x.x", I get
    "x.x.x.x can't find domain.tld: Non-existent domain" even though
    "nslookup -vc query=a domain.tld x.x.x.x" returns the correct result.
    Shouldn't I, if anything, be getting a "No zone transfer (AXFR)
    records available for domain.tld", instead? Why would I be getting
    "domain doesn't exist" errors when the A record clearly shows that it
    does exist?

  2. Re: non-existent domain error when axfr'ing a domain with A records?

    In article <1182964733.539589.266450@m36g2000hse.googlegroups. com>,
    yawnmoth wrote:

    > When I run "nslookup -vc -query=axfr domain.tld x.x.x.x", I get
    > "x.x.x.x can't find domain.tld: Non-existent domain" even though
    > "nslookup -vc query=a domain.tld x.x.x.x" returns the correct result.
    > Shouldn't I, if anything, be getting a "No zone transfer (AXFR)
    > records available for domain.tld", instead? Why would I be getting
    > "domain doesn't exist" errors when the A record clearly shows that it
    > does exist?

    Because you're using nslookup rather than dig. It conflates lots of
    different error conditions into its "Non-existent domain" message.

    --
    Barry Margolin, barmar@alum.mit.edu
    Arlington, MA