TCP and HTTP question - HELP - TCP-IP

This is a discussion on TCP and HTTP question - HELP - TCP-IP ; Could some networking guru please clarify the following point? We know that HTTP rides on TCP and also that HTTP has no way of starting and ending a connection (e.g., TCP has SYN, FIN and RST) . Is it possible, ...

  1. TCP and HTTP question - HELP

    Could some networking guru please clarify the following point? We know
    that HTTP rides on TCP and also that HTTP has no way of starting and
    ending a connection (e.g., TCP has SYN, FIN and RST) . Is it possible,
    if at all, to capture a TCP FIN from inside the HTTP stack? In other
    words, suppose a Web browser stops a connection, in which case a TCP
    FIN is sent from the machine running the browser to the remote HTTP
    server. At this stage, the machine on which the Web browser was
    running sends a TCP FIN. Would this FIN be detected inside the HTTP
    server? This might appear a very silly question, but I am trying to
    debug a Web server for a project, and so I want to make sure I am
    using the correct reasoning.

  2. Re: TCP and HTTP question - HELP

    On Jun 17, 5:02 pm, "cpptutor2...@yahoo.com"
    wrote:
    > Could some networking guru please clarify the following point? We know
    > that HTTP rides on TCP and also that HTTP has no way of starting and
    > ending a connection (e.g., TCP has SYN, FIN and RST) . Is it possible,
    > if at all, to capture a TCP FIN from inside the HTTP stack? In other
    > words, suppose a Web browser stops a connection, in which case a TCP
    > FIN is sent from the machine running the browser to the remote HTTP
    > server. At this stage, the machine on which the Web browser was
    > running sends a TCP FIN. Would this FIN be detected inside the HTTP
    > server? This might appear a very silly question, but I am trying to
    > debug a Web server for a project, and so I want to make sure I am
    > using the correct reasoning.

    The web server would eventually receive some sort of error trying to
    read or write on that TCP connection. It might not be immediate do to
    buffering, however.

    This is not different than what any TCP based application would see if
    the other side closed the connection.

  3. Re: TCP and HTTP question - HELP

    In article <1182117776.846866.242110@u2g2000hsc.googlegroups.c om>,
    "cpptutor2000@yahoo.com" wrote:

    > Could some networking guru please clarify the following point? We know
    > that HTTP rides on TCP and also that HTTP has no way of starting and
    > ending a connection (e.g., TCP has SYN, FIN and RST) . Is it possible,
    > if at all, to capture a TCP FIN from inside the HTTP stack? In other
    > words, suppose a Web browser stops a connection, in which case a TCP
    > FIN is sent from the machine running the browser to the remote HTTP
    > server. At this stage, the machine on which the Web browser was
    > running sends a TCP FIN. Would this FIN be detected inside the HTTP
    > server? This might appear a very silly question, but I am trying to
    > debug a Web server for a project, and so I want to make sure I am
    > using the correct reasoning.

    When the HTTP server tries to read from the network stream it will
    receive an EOF indication.

    --
    Barry Margolin, barmar@alum.mit.edu
    Arlington, MA