[OT] IPv4 : dotquad :: IPv6 : ? - TCP-IP

This is a discussion on [OT] IPv4 : dotquad :: IPv6 : ? - TCP-IP ; Dear All, We usually call IP address representation format as dotquad (or dotted- quad) format. Do we have similar name for IPv6 format. Locally we used to refer it as colonoct (colon-octal). Just curious if there is any name used ...

  1. [OT] IPv4 : dotquad :: IPv6 : ?

    Dear All,

    We usually call IP address representation format as dotquad (or dotted-
    quad) format. Do we have similar name for IPv6 format. Locally we
    used to refer it as colonoct (colon-octal). Just curious if there is
    any name used by the dev community.

    Regards,
    Arul Kumar C
    -~-

  2. Re: [OT] IPv4 : dotquad :: IPv6 : ?

    "Arul Kumar C" wrote:

    > We usually call IP address representation format as dotquad (or
    > dotted-
    > quad) format. Do we have similar name for IPv6 format. Locally we
    > used to refer it as colonoct (colon-octal). Just curious if there is
    > any name used by the dev community.

    In IPv6, it's hexadecimal representation, not octal. I don't know of any
    catchy term to describe the format, though.

    (RFC 4291)

    Bert

  3. Re: IPv4 : dotquad :: IPv6 : ?

    On Jun 13, 8:12 pm, "Albert Manfredi"
    wrote:
    > "Arul Kumar C" wrote:
    >
    > > We usually call IP address representation format as dotquad (or
    > > dotted-
    > > quad) format. Do we have similar name for IPv6 format. Locally we
    > > used to refer it as colonoct (colon-octal). Just curious if there is
    > > any name used by the dev community.

    > In IPv6, it's hexadecimal representation, not octal. I don't know of any
    > catchy term to describe the format, though.

    octal is for the eight pair of values seperated by colon.

    > (RFC 4291)
    >
    > Bert

  4. Re: IPv4 : dotquad :: IPv6 : ?

    > octal is for the eight pair of values seperated by colon.

    "octal" would be confused with base-8 numbering.
    Cute-n-catchey names usually come from little-knowns.
    I'm sure there'll be some little catch phrase to satisfy your need for
    l33t-like diction.

+ Reply to Thread