Can DNS nameserver respond with domain name of another DNS nameserver (not with IP address)? - TCP-IP

This is a discussion on Can DNS nameserver respond with domain name of another DNS nameserver (not with IP address)? - TCP-IP ; Is it possible to configure a DNS nameserver so that instead of returning the IP address of the nameserver authoritative for the corresponding child zone, it would return its domain name. For example, is it possible to have a NS ...

  1. Can DNS nameserver respond with domain name of another DNS nameserver (not with IP address)?

    Is it possible to configure a DNS nameserver so that instead of
    returning the IP address of the nameserver authoritative for the
    corresponding child zone, it would return its domain name.

    For example, is it possible to have a NS record in a DNS resolution
    table (e.g. US. NS A.GTLD.BIZ.)
    without a corresponding A record and simply get A.GTLD.BIZ domain name
    when resoling us. domain?

    The reason for this question is to figure out whether it's possible to
    have a name resolution system that would be an overlay to the existing
    DNS and could be deployed using standard DNS software?

    Sergei

  2. Re: Can DNS nameserver respond with domain name of another DNS nameserver (not with IP address)?

    In article <1181390606.019509.263580@q75g2000hsh.googlegroups. com>,
    silentser@gmail.com wrote:

    > Is it possible to configure a DNS nameserver so that instead of
    > returning the IP address of the nameserver authoritative for the
    > corresponding child zone, it would return its domain name.
    >
    > For example, is it possible to have a NS record in a DNS resolution
    > table (e.g. US. NS A.GTLD.BIZ.)
    > without a corresponding A record and simply get A.GTLD.BIZ domain name
    > when resoling us. domain?
    >
    > The reason for this question is to figure out whether it's possible to
    > have a name resolution system that would be an overlay to the existing
    > DNS and could be deployed using standard DNS software?

    In BIND, if you configure the "fetch-glue no" option, it won't query for
    the A record of the nameservers it hand out in NS records. It will
    include them in the reply if they happen to be in the cache already, but
    it won't go out of its way to look them up. If the server has recursion
    disabled in general then it probably won't ever get them in its cache.

    --
    Barry Margolin, barmar@alum.mit.edu
    Arlington, MA