TCP and HTTP question - PLEASE HELP - TCP-IP

This is a discussion on TCP and HTTP question - PLEASE HELP - TCP-IP ; Could some networking guru please help? I am trying to test a web server created by our company, and I am running into the following problem. I start a Web browser on a standard PC, and connect to the server ...

  1. TCP and HTTP question - PLEASE HELP

    Could some networking guru please help? I am trying to test a web
    server created by our company, and I am running into the following
    problem.
    I start a Web browser on a standard PC, and connect to the server
    using a known a known IP address. I must mention that instead of the
    standard HTTP port 80, we use 8080. Now suppose I am on a Web page
    with a button, clicking on which is supposed to initiate a HTTP 'GET'
    operation, and allow me to navigate to another page. I click on the
    button, and soon after that I hit the browser's 'Stop' button. Now,
    after this if I try to reload the page, the server does not respond at
    all - a message appears on the browser status bar that it is trying to
    connect to a the server at the given URL. I have used Wireshark packet
    sniffer to track the packets being exchanged, and I find that after
    the browser 'Stop' button is hit, the server issues an HTTP '404'
    error message, followed by a TCP 'RST' and then 'RST' ACKs are
    exchanged between the server and the PC (on which the Web browser is
    running). Could someone explain what might be going on, and a possible
    remedy? Thanks in advance for your help.

  2. Re: TCP and HTTP question - PLEASE HELP

    On Jun 8, 9:51 pm, "cpptutor2...@yahoo.com"
    wrote:
    > Could some networking guru please help? I am trying to test a web
    > server created by our company, and I am running into the following
    > problem.
    > I start a Web browser on a standard PC, and connect to the server
    > using a known a known IP address. I must mention that instead of the
    > standard HTTP port 80, we use 8080. Now suppose I am on a Web page
    > with a button, clicking on which is supposed to initiate a HTTP 'GET'
    > operation, and allow me to navigate to another page. I click on the
    > button, and soon after that I hit the browser's 'Stop' button. Now,
    > after this if I try to reload the page, the server does not respond at
    > all - a message appears on the browser status bar that it is trying to
    > connect to a the server at the given URL. I have used Wireshark packet
    > sniffer to track the packets being exchanged, and I find that after
    > the browser 'Stop' button is hit, the server issues an HTTP '404'
    > error message, followed by a TCP 'RST' and then 'RST' ACKs are
    > exchanged between the server and the PC (on which the Web browser is
    > running). Could someone explain what might be going on, and a possible
    > remedy? Thanks in advance for your help.

    It's your web server and you don't know why it's sending a 404? Does
    it, or can it be made to, log all errors in detail? What URL does it
    think the client was accessing when it generated the 404?

    Also, something is amiss in your description. How can pressing 'stop'
    on the client cause the server to do something without something being
    sent from one to the other? The *first* affect of hitting 'stop' can't
    be the server doing something.

    DS

+ Reply to Thread