TCP send/recv problems - TCP-IP

This is a discussion on TCP send/recv problems - TCP-IP ; A question out to all the TCP socket experts. I am having a bit of an issue with socket communication while running on solaris 10. The problem presents itself as two programs communicating over a TCP sockets. After a few ...

  1. TCP send/recv problems

    A question out to all the TCP socket experts. I am having a bit of an
    issue with socket communication while running on solaris 10.
    The problem presents itself as two programs communicating over a TCP
    sockets. After a few messages are sent, one program freezes when it
    tries to send a message. Then the next one freezes when it tries to
    send a message.
    After stepping through the programs, it seems that the programs are
    intermittently receiving their messages (I am assuming that this is
    causing the sockets to freeze) However, what I would like to know is
    what are possible causes for a program intermittently receive data?

    Cheers,

    Jade

  2. Re: TCP send/recv problems

    Jade wrote:
    > A question out to all the TCP socket experts. I am having a bit of an
    > issue with socket communication while running on solaris 10.
    > The problem presents itself as two programs communicating over a TCP
    > sockets. After a few messages are sent, one program freezes when it
    > tries to send a message. Then the next one freezes when it tries to
    > send a message.
    > After stepping through the programs, it seems that the programs are
    > intermittently receiving their messages (I am assuming that this is
    > causing the sockets to freeze) However, what I would like to know is
    > what are possible causes for a program intermittently receive data?

    Not enough information to say anything other than a logic error in the
    programs.

  3. Re: TCP send/recv problems

    In article <1181070567.837319.41370@d30g2000prg.googlegroups.c om>,
    Jade wrote:

    > A question out to all the TCP socket experts. I am having a bit of an
    > issue with socket communication while running on solaris 10.
    > The problem presents itself as two programs communicating over a TCP
    > sockets. After a few messages are sent, one program freezes when it
    > tries to send a message. Then the next one freezes when it tries to
    > send a message.
    > After stepping through the programs, it seems that the programs are
    > intermittently receiving their messages (I am assuming that this is
    > causing the sockets to freeze) However, what I would like to know is
    > what are possible causes for a program intermittently receive data?

    Are the programs reading from the sockets as quickly as data is being
    sent? If not, the TCP window will close and then the send buffer will
    fill up, and this will cause the sender to block. If this happens to
    both programs you'll get a deadlock.

    --
    Barry Margolin, barmar@alum.mit.edu
    Arlington, MA