Buffalo LinkStation network storage configuration - TCP-IP

This is a discussion on Buffalo LinkStation network storage configuration - TCP-IP ; New to this NG, hope this is the correct one for this post.... I have a 300GB Buffalo LinkStation connected into a Netgear giga switch. I can't add it to the network...and I don't want to USB it to just ...

  1. Buffalo LinkStation network storage configuration

    New to this NG, hope this is the correct one for this post....

    I have a 300GB Buffalo LinkStation connected into a Netgear giga
    switch. I can't add it to the network...and I don't want to USB it to
    just one PC. I think there is a "homepage" to pull it up on, but the
    Buffalo manuals are terrible help.

    Where do I begin?

    Thanks, Mastertone

  2. Re: Buffalo LinkStation network storage configuration

    Mastertone wrote:

    >New to this NG, hope this is the correct one for this post....
    >
    >I have a 300GB Buffalo LinkStation connected into a Netgear giga
    >switch. I can't add it to the network...and I don't want to USB it to
    >just one PC. I think there is a "homepage" to pull it up on, but the
    >Buffalo manuals are terrible help.
    >
    >Where do I begin?

    Did you try the Buffalo web site?? Did you run the setup cd????

    >Thanks, Mastertone

  3. Re: Buffalo LinkStation network storage configuration

    Yep, all that stuff. The setup CD cannot find it! Their web site is
    about as useful as the manual. I need the address of my IP or
    something like that....I think 8-)

    ~~~~~~~~~~~
    On Sun, 03 Jun 2007 18:56:12 GMT, njkat@eclipse.net (gene martinez)
    wrote:

    >Did you try the Buffalo web site?? Did you run the setup cd????

  4. Re: Buffalo LinkStation network storage configuration

    Mastertone wrote:

    >Yep, all that stuff. The setup CD cannot find it! Their web site is
    >about as useful as the manual. I need the address of my IP or
    >something like that....I think 8-)
    >

    >~~~~~~~~~~~
    >On Sun, 03 Jun 2007 18:56:12 GMT, njkat@eclipse.net (gene martinez)
    >wrote:
    >
    >>Did you try the Buffalo web site?? Did you run the setup cd????

    I guess you have a small home network? Are you sure that the
    connection to the network is OK? You get the correct network lights on
    the unit and a link light on your switch? Does your network give out
    ip addresses with DHCP? You should be able to look at your
    router/switch and see what ip addresses are give out. Or you can do a
    google scan for software that will scan your network and SEE what ip
    addresses are in use. This should show you the ip address of the unit.

  5. Re: Buffalo LinkStation network storage configuration

    How do I do all that stuff? It is a home network and I had it working
    before, but I reloaded XP as a fresh install and nothing comes up now
    :-(

    On Sun, 03 Jun 2007 21:01:49 GMT, njkat@eclipse.net (gene martinez)
    wrote:

    Does your network give out
    >ip addresses with DHCP? You should be able to look at your
    >router/switch and see what ip addresses are give out. Or you can do a
    >google scan for software that will scan your network and SEE what ip
    >addresses are in use. This should show you the ip address of the unit.

  6. Re: Buffalo LinkStation network storage configuration

    On Jun 3, 11:55 am, Mastertone wrote:
    > New to this NG, hope this is the correct one for this post....
    >
    > I have a 300GB Buffalo LinkStation connected into a Netgear giga
    > switch. I can't add it to the network...and I don't want to USB it to
    > just one PC. I think there is a "homepage" to pull it up on, but the
    > Buffalo manuals are terrible help.
    >
    > Where do I begin?
    >
    > Thanks, Mastertone

    I have one, and am using it quite well behind a gigaswitch...

    Have you given it an IP Address?

    RedForeman

  7. Re: Buffalo LinkStation network storage configuration

    No, that's where I'm having trouble. The install CD doesn't see the
    unit and I can't access it anywhere HELP! Thx :-)

    On Mon, 04 Jun 2007 09:00:13 -0700, RedForeman
    wrote:

    >I have one, and am using it quite well behind a gigaswitch...
    >
    >Have you given it an IP Address?
    >
    >RedForeman

  8. Re: Buffalo LinkStation network storage configuration

    On Jun 4, 12:58 pm, Mastertone wrote:
    > No, that's where I'm having trouble. The install CD doesn't see the
    > unit and I can't access it anywhere HELP! Thx :-)
    >
    > On Mon, 04 Jun 2007 09:00:13 -0700, RedForeman
    > wrote:
    >

    > >I have one, and am using it quite well behind a gigaswitch...

    > >Have you given it an IP Address?

    > >RedForeman- Hide quoted text -

    If the CD runs, and cannot 'find' linkstation, either your cable is
    bad, not seated properly.... try changing the port on the switch,
    change cables, etc... gotta get connectivity first... it's not really
    'hard'... it's gotta be something simple, like a bad port, bad cable,
    no power....

    RedForeman

  9. Re: Buffalo LinkStation network storage configuration

    On Jun 4, 12:58 pm, Mastertone wrote:
    > No, that's where I'm having trouble. The install CD doesn't see the
    > unit and I can't access it anywhere HELP! Thx :-)
    >
    > On Mon, 04 Jun 2007 09:00:13 -0700, RedForeman
    > wrote:
    >

    > >I have one, and am using it quite well behind a gigaswitch...

    > >Have you given it an IP Address?

    > >RedForeman- Hide quoted text -

    Just looked at the version of software I am using and it's old... I
    guess I updated using the downloaded software and not the CD.... try
    that because evidently there is a discovery issue with it...

  10. Re: Buffalo LinkStation network storage configuration

    Mastertone wrote:

    >How do I do all that stuff? It is a home network and I had it working
    >before, but I reloaded XP as a fresh install and nothing comes up now
    >:-(

    1) cable your router to your pc
    2.) start your router
    3.) start your pc.
    4.) you should see a light on your router and your pc (if they
    are connectly correctly
    5.) from your pc open a dos window
    a.) click on start
    b.) then run
    c.) type command
    d.) type ipconfig
    6.) this will show you your ip address, subnet mask and
    default gateway <- this is the ip address of your
    router.

    See if you get this far...

    >On Sun, 03 Jun 2007 21:01:49 GMT, njkat@eclipse.net (gene martinez)
    >wrote:
    >
    >Does your network give out
    >>ip addresses with DHCP? You should be able to look at your
    >>router/switch and see what ip addresses are give out. Or you can do a
    >>google scan for software that will scan your network and SEE what ip
    >>addresses are in use. This should show you the ip address of the unit.

  11. Re: Buffalo LinkStation network storage configuration

    Yes, I got that.....

    On Tue, 05 Jun 2007 00:52:46 GMT, njkat@eclipse.net (gene martinez)
    wrote:

    >6.) this will show you your ip address, subnet mask and
    > default gateway <- this is the ip address of your
    > router.
    >
    > See if you get this far...

  12. Re: Buffalo LinkStation network storage configuration

    On Jun 6, 5:53 pm, Mastertone wrote:
    > Yes, I got that.....
    >
    > On Tue, 05 Jun 2007 00:52:46 GMT, n...@eclipse.net (gene martinez)
    > wrote:
    >

    > >6.) this will show you your ip address, subnet mask and
    > > default gateway <- this is the ip address of your
    > > router.

    > > See if you get this far... - Hide quoted text -

    Anyway.... how far did you get? Any progress? Did you download the
    newer software?

    Just curious....

    RedForeman

  13. Re: Buffalo LinkStation network storage configuration

    Red, still working this. My system is down for a chipset fan (see
    other posts) and I'm hoping maybe I can do this from another
    workstation. Does it matter which workstation I use? Can it be any?

    On Thu, 07 Jun 2007 05:55:07 -0700, RedForeman
    wrote:

    >Anyway.... how far did you get? Any progress? Did you download the
    >newer software?
    >
    >Just curious....
    >
    >RedForeman

+ Reply to Thread