Test accessibility without Ping - TCP-IP

This is a discussion on Test accessibility without Ping - TCP-IP ; Hello, I am trying to solve some issues with our videoconferencing equipment (IP). Our vendor provides some test sites to access, but unable to connect to them. I'm also unable to ping the IP of the test site. I realize ...

  1. Test accessibility without Ping

    Hello,
    I am trying to solve some issues with our videoconferencing equipment
    (IP).
    Our vendor provides some test sites to access, but unable to connect
    to them.
    I'm also unable to ping the IP of the test site. I realize that they
    may not allow ping
    to that equipment. Other than Ping, is there some way I can tell that
    the device, or the network that the device is on, is accessible from
    out network? I just want to rule out that their equipment is offline,
    and not just that they are denying ping. I ask them but the level
    support I get to can't say for sure.

  2. Re: Test accessibility without Ping

    In article <1180139867.922645.62060@o11g2000prd.googlegroups.c om>,
    J wrote:

    > Hello,
    > I am trying to solve some issues with our videoconferencing equipment
    > (IP).
    > Our vendor provides some test sites to access, but unable to connect
    > to them.
    > I'm also unable to ping the IP of the test site. I realize that they
    > may not allow ping
    > to that equipment. Other than Ping, is there some way I can tell that
    > the device, or the network that the device is on, is accessible from
    > out network? I just want to rule out that their equipment is offline,
    > and not just that they are denying ping. I ask them but the level
    > support I get to can't say for sure.

    If they have a firewall or packet filter (which they apparently do if
    they're blocking pings) then you need to know what they DO allow through
    it. If any of them are TCP-based protocols, you can use

    telnet

    to see if the server responds.

    --
    Barry Margolin, barmar@alum.mit.edu