how to find out CIDR - TCP-IP

This is a discussion on how to find out CIDR - TCP-IP ; I am doing a class in telecommunications, and there is a concept which i cannot grasp. the books isnt too clear about it. how can i find out the CIDR when the subnet mask and a host IP is provided? ...

  1. how to find out CIDR

    I am doing a class in telecommunications, and there is a concept which
    i cannot grasp. the books isnt too clear about it.
    how can i find out the CIDR when the subnet mask and a host IP is
    provided?
    for example, if the subnet mask is 255.255.240.0, what is the CIDR for
    the subnet with a host IP address 210.240.10.0?
    I would really appreciate the help!
    Thanks

  2. Re: how to find out CIDR

    In article <1173588314.719027.221120@q40g2000cwq.googlegroups. com>,
    wrote:
    >I am doing a class in telecommunications, and there is a concept which
    >i cannot grasp. the books isnt too clear about it.
    >how can i find out the CIDR when the subnet mask and a host IP is
    >provided?
    >for example, if the subnet mask is 255.255.240.0, what is the CIDR for
    >the subnet with a host IP address 210.240.10.0?
    >I would really appreciate the help!

    Count the number of leading 1's in the binary representation
    of the mask. Or start from the end and a count of 32 and subtract
    off the count of the trailing binary 0's.

    For example, 255.255.240.0 ends with four 0 bits for the 240, then
    eight 0 bits for the .0, so that's 32-4-8 = 20. That makes the CIDR
    a /20.

    After that, it's just a matter of making sure that the base address
    and the mask align. In the case of 210.240.10.0, they are consistant.
    But if the address you'd been given had been 210.240.10.1 then
    you'd have to look and realize that that trailing .1 has a binary
    1 in a place that should be all binary 0's. Use a binary "and" to
    bring the two into alignment; e.g.,
    210.240.10.1 AND 255.255.240.0 is 210.240.10.0

  3. Re: how to find out CIDR

    that helps a lot walter! thanks!

  4. Re: how to find out CIDR

    In article <1173588314.719027.221120@q40g2000cwq.googlegroups. com>, ruchie.sharma@gmail.com wrote:
    >I am doing a class in telecommunications, and there is a concept which
    >i cannot grasp. the books isnt too clear about it.
    >how can i find out the CIDR when the subnet mask and a host IP is
    >provided?
    >for example, if the subnet mask is 255.255.240.0, what is the CIDR for
    >the subnet with a host IP address 210.240.10.0?
    >I would really appreciate the help!

    Try looking over:
    http://www.interall.co.il/cidr.html

    Regards,
    Hank Nussbacher
    www.interall.co.il

  5. Re: how to find out CIDR

    Hello,

    ruchie.sharma@gmail.com a écrit :
    > I am doing a class in telecommunications, and there is a concept which
    > i cannot grasp. the books isnt too clear about it.
    > how can i find out the CIDR when the subnet mask and a host IP is
    > provided?

    Your question makes no sense. CIDR (Classless Inter Domain Routing) is a
    concept, a method to organize IP network addressing. Don't you mean the
    prefix ?

  6. Re: how to find out CIDR

    In article ,
    Pascal Hambourg wrote:

    > Hello,
    >
    > ruchie.sharma@gmail.com a écrit :
    > > I am doing a class in telecommunications, and there is a concept which
    > > i cannot grasp. the books isnt too clear about it.
    > > how can i find out the CIDR when the subnet mask and a host IP is
    > > provided?

    > Your question makes no sense. CIDR (Classless Inter Domain Routing) is a
    > concept, a method to organize IP network addressing. Don't you mean the
    > prefix ?

    It's also a notation. The notation 192.168.100.0/24 is the CIDR
    notation for 192.168.100.0 with network mask 255.255.255.0.

    --
    Barry Margolin, barmar@alum.mit.edu
    Arlington, MA

  7. Re: how to find out CIDR

    It's also a notation. The notation 192.168.100.0/24 is the CIDR
    notation for 192.168.100.0 with network mask 255.255.255.0.

    How do you figure the mask from the notation?

+ Reply to Thread