  2. Re: why application works locally but crashes on another machine???

    From: "azsx"

    | Hi. I developed an application for video-conferencing using Visual
    | Studio 2005, Windows XP, SP2. I have a static ip and hard coded it
    | both on server and client. The client should connect to my machine and
    | get video data, which is very large because I didn't use lossy
    | compression (2MB/15 sec), afterwards it displays it. Everything works
    | fine if I launch both server and client on my computer. But when
    | client is started elsewhere most times it crashes suddenly, but 2
    | times it worked for about one second... I use TCP for transmiting
    | data. Have you ever heard of such problems? Should I present some code?

    You missed the point. You are at the "application" layer when this is a TCP/IP group.

    The problem may be in DLL dependencies and having nothing to do with the IP stack.

    I suggest posting the problem ( with any related error messages ) in a MS Visual Studio
    related News Group. I am sure there must be one in the microsoft.* hierarchy..

    --
    Dave
    http://www.ik-cs.com/got-a-virus.htm

  3. Re: why application works locally but crashes on another machine???

    > You missed the point. You are at the "application" layer when this is a TCP/IP group.
    > The problem may be in DLL dependencies and having nothing to do with the IP stack.
    >
    > I suggest posting the problem ( with any related error messages ) in a MS Visual Studio
    > related News Group. I am sure there must be one in the microsoft.* hierarchy..

    Ok, sorry! Thought there may be problems with TCP when transmiting big
    packages.

  4. Re: why application works locally but crashes on another machine???

    In article <1173002113.467184.179300@30g2000cwc.googlegroups.c om>,
    azsx wrote:
    >> You missed the point. You are at the "application" layer when this is a TCP/IP group.
    >> The problem may be in DLL dependencies and having nothing to do with the IP stack.
    >>
    >> I suggest posting the problem ( with any related error messages ) in a MS Visual Studio
    >> related News Group. I am sure there must be one in the microsoft.* hierarchy..

    >Ok, sorry! Thought there may be problems with TCP when transmiting big
    >packages.

    No, the TCP protocol has made provision for the sender to divide and
    the receiver to reconstruct "big packages".

    --
    -- Rod --
    rodd(at)polylogics(dot)com

  5. Re: why application works locally but crashes on another machine???

    > No, the TCP protocol has made provision for the sender to divide and
    > the receiver to reconstruct "big packages".

    How I know that, and it helps. Thanks!

  6. Re: why application works locally but crashes on another machine???

    Depending on how much data you are trying to shove down the TCP
    connection, it may exceede what it is capable of shoving between the
    two systems over a network. Either by virtue of being more than the
    link-rate, or perhaps by virtue of not haveing a large-enough socket
    buffer.

    Now, a bug-free application wouldn't _crash_ in that case it would
    simply pause and restart - a lot.

    You may want to run something simple between the two systems to see
    what sort of bandwidth you get between them and perhaps what sort of
    socket/other settings you need to get the bandwidth your application
    desires. Netperf might be such a thing to run.
    http://www.netperf.org/

    rick jones