How to examine utilization of the TCP write buffer ? - TCP-IP

This is a discussion on How to examine utilization of the TCP write buffer ? - TCP-IP ; Linux (SuSE 9.3 2.6.11 i686) I've been trying to find a command or system call that will return the current utilization level of the TCP write buffer. Can anyone help?...

  1. How to examine utilization of the TCP write buffer ?

    Linux (SuSE 9.3 2.6.11 i686)

    I've been trying to find a command or system call that will return
    the current utilization level of the TCP write buffer.

    Can anyone help?

  2. Re: How to examine utilization of the TCP write buffer ?

    Richard Eich wrote:
    > Linux (SuSE 9.3 2.6.11 i686)
    >
    > I've been trying to find a command or system call that will return
    > the current utilization level of the TCP write buffer.
    >
    > Can anyone help?

    What is your outer problem? What do you plan to do with this
    information and why do you think you need it? (There's at least an 80%
    chance this is not the actual information you need.)

    DS

  3. Re: How to examine utilization of the TCP write buffer ?

    Richard Eich wrote:

    > Linux (SuSE 9.3 2.6.11 i686)
    >
    > I've been trying to find a command or system call that will return
    > the current utilization level of the TCP write buffer.

    ioctl(SIOCOUTQ)

    http://www.linux-m32r.org/lxr/http/s...pv4/tcp.c#l405

  4. Re: How to examine utilization of the TCP write buffer ?

    maxim.yegorushkin@gmail.com wrote...

    > Richard Eich wrote:
    >
    > > Linux (SuSE 9.3 2.6.11 i686)
    > >
    > > I've been trying to find a command or system call that will return
    > > the current utilization level of the TCP write buffer.

    > ioctl(SIOCOUTQ)
    >
    > http://www.linux-m32r.org/lxr/http/s...pv4/tcp.c#l405

    Maxim,

    Thank you very much. SIOCOUTQ isn't in Stevens -- I evidentally need
    a more current reference.

    Best,
    RE

  5. Re: How to examine utilization of the TCP write buffer ?

    Richard Eich writes:

    >maxim.yegorushkin@gmail.com wrote...
    >>
    >> Richard Eich wrote:
    >>
    >> > Linux (SuSE 9.3 2.6.11 i686)
    >> >
    >> > I've been trying to find a command or system call that will return
    >> > the current utilization level of the TCP write buffer.

    >> ioctl(SIOCOUTQ)
    >>
    >> http://www.linux-m32r.org/lxr/http/s...pv4/tcp.c#l405

    >Maxim,

    >Thank you very much. SIOCOUTQ isn't in Stevens -- I evidentally need
    >a more current reference.

    It's not very portable.....

    I wonder what use you think this has.

    Casper
    be fiction rather than truth.

  6. Re: How to examine utilization of the TCP write buffer ?

    Richard Eich wrote:
    > maxim.yegorushkin@gmail.com wrote...
    >> Richard Eich wrote:
    >>
    >>> Linux (SuSE 9.3 2.6.11 i686)
    >>>
    >>> I've been trying to find a command or system call that will return
    >>> the current utilization level of the TCP write buffer.

    >> ioctl(SIOCOUTQ)
    >>
    >> http://www.linux-m32r.org/lxr/http/s...pv4/tcp.c#l405

    > Maxim,
    >
    > Thank you very much. SIOCOUTQ isn't in Stevens -- I evidentally need
    > a more current reference.
    >
    > Best,
    > RE

    Stevens isn't current?

  7. Re: How to examine utilization of the TCP write buffer ?

    Casper H.S. Dik wrote:
    > Richard Eich writes:
    >
    > >maxim.yegorushkin@gmail.com wrote...

    > >> ioctl(SIOCOUTQ)
    > >>
    > >> http://www.linux-m32r.org/lxr/http/s...pv4/tcp.c#l405

    > >Maxim,

    > >Thank you very much. SIOCOUTQ isn't in Stevens -- I evidentally need
    > >a more current reference.

    > It's not very portable.....

    Casper, true, it is not portable.

    Having noted the first line in the original question, I thought it was
    all right to post a linux specific solution.

  8. Re: How to examine utilization of the TCP write buffer ?

    Richard Eich wrote:
    > maxim.yegorushkin@gmail.com wrote...
    > >
    > > Richard Eich wrote:
    > >
    > > > Linux (SuSE 9.3 2.6.11 i686)
    > > >
    > > > I've been trying to find a command or system call that will return
    > > > the current utilization level of the TCP write buffer.

    > > ioctl(SIOCOUTQ)
    > >
    > > http://www.linux-m32r.org/lxr/http/s...pv4/tcp.c#l405

    > Maxim,
    >
    > Thank you very much. SIOCOUTQ isn't in Stevens -- I evidentally need
    > a more current reference.

    It's in man tcp(7).

    You might also find interestion this tcp ioctl:

    TCP_INFO
    Used to collect information about this socket. The
    kernel
    returns a struct tcp_info as defined in the
    file
    /usr/include/linux/tcp.h. This option should not be
    used in
    code intended to be portable.

    Some other interesting linux networking implementation details in man
    articles netdevice(7), socket(7), ip(7), udp(7), unix(7).

  9. Re: How to examine utilization of the TCP write buffer ?

    Maxim Yegorushkin wrote:

    > You might also find interestion this tcp ioctl:
    >
    > TCP_INFO

    Mistake, it's getsockopt, not ioctl.

+ Reply to Thread