when a router is routing an ip packet from one host, will it add its own ip address into the ip packet as additional ip address? - TCP-IP

This is a discussion on when a router is routing an ip packet from one host, will it add its own ip address into the ip packet as additional ip address? - TCP-IP ; when a router is routing an ip packet from one host, will it add its own ip address into the ip packet as additional ip address(without changing the source and destination)....

  1. when a router is routing an ip packet from one host, will it add its own ip address into the ip packet as additional ip address?

    when a router is routing an ip packet from one host, will it add its
    own ip address into the ip packet as additional ip address(without
    changing the source and destination).

  2. Re: when a router is routing an ip packet from one host, will it add its own ip address into the ip packet as additional ip address?

    In article <1163501224.005221.86810@b28g2000cwb.googlegroups.c om>,
    subscribe wrote:
    >when a router is routing an ip packet from one host, will it add its
    >own ip address into the ip packet as additional ip address(without
    >changing the source and destination).

    No. The destination MAC will change and the router will recalculate
    the CRC, but the IP addresses do not change with normal routers.
    The IP addresses may change at security gateways ("firewalls") though.

  3. Re: when a router is routing an ip packet from one host, will it add its own ip address into the ip packet as additional ip address?

    In article ,
    Walter Roberson wrote:
    >In article <1163501224.005221.86810@b28g2000cwb.googlegroups.c om>,
    >subscribe wrote:
    >>when a router is routing an ip packet from one host, will it add its
    >>own ip address into the ip packet as additional ip address(without
    >>changing the source and destination).

    >No. The destination MAC will change and the router will recalculate
    >the CRC, but the IP addresses do not change with normal routers.
    >The IP addresses may change at security gateways ("firewalls") though.

    Oh yes, the TTL field will also decrement at each routing hop.
    Nothing else will change unless source routing or record route is
    requested, neither of which is in general use.

  4. Re: when a router is routing an ip packet from one host, will it add its own ip address into the ip packet as additional ip address?

    "subscribe" wrote:

    > when a router is routing an ip packet from one host, will it add its
    > own ip address into the ip packet as additional ip address(without
    > changing the source and destination).

    What do you mean by "as additional ip address"? There's no such field
    in the IP header.

    --
    Barry Margolin, barmar@alum.mit.edu
    Arlington, MA

  5. Re: when a router is routing an ip packet from one host, will it add its own ip address into the ip packet as additional ip address?

    perhaps last ip address.

  6. Re: when a router is routing an ip packet from one host, will it add its own ip address into the ip packet as additional ip address?

    In article <1164274793.591017.180390@l12g2000cwl.googlegroups. com>,
    "subscribe" wrote:

    > perhaps last ip address.

    As I said, there's no such field in the IP header.

    The only way to get router IPs into the header is by using the Record
    Route IP option (or one of the source routing options, which incorporate
    route recording as well).