Finding all domains using whois - TCP-IP

This is a discussion on Finding all domains using whois - TCP-IP ; Hi all, Is there a way to find all domains matching a specific search string? For instance, say I wanted to do such a search for blobby.com, it would find server1.blobby.com, wizzbit.blobby.com, rectum.blobby.com? I've found using "whois blobby.com", that it ...

  1. Finding all domains using whois

    Hi all,
    Is there a way to find all domains matching a specific search string?
    For instance, say I wanted to
    do such a search for blobby.com, it would find server1.blobby.com,
    wizzbit.blobby.com, rectum.blobby.com?

    I've found using "whois blobby.com", that it doesn't come up with all
    the servers.

    Best wishes

    Paul

  2. Re: Finding all domains using whois

    In article <1158522018.309212.189950@b28g2000cwb.googlegroups. com>,
    paul@paullee.com wrote:

    > Hi all,
    > Is there a way to find all domains matching a specific search string?
    > For instance, say I wanted to
    > do such a search for blobby.com, it would find server1.blobby.com,
    > wizzbit.blobby.com, rectum.blobby.com?
    >
    > I've found using "whois blobby.com", that it doesn't come up with all
    > the servers.

    WHOIS searches the domain registries, not the DNS servers. The data
    you're asking about would appear on the DNS servers that host the
    blobby.com domain. The registries just contain the information that
    gets loaded into the top-level domain to delegate to those DNS servers.

    What you want to do requires use of a DNS query tool, such as "dig" or
    "nslookup", not "whois".

    dig blobby.com ns -- finds the servers that host the domain
    dig blobby.com axfr @ns.domainca.com -- lists the contents of the domain

    The latter doesn't actually work because the server has zone transfer
    permissions restricted. To accomplish what you want, you need the DNS
    operator to give you zone transfer permission.

    --
    Barry Margolin, barmar@alum.mit.edu
    Arlington, MA