Layer 2 Filtering Project...... - TCP-IP

This is a discussion on Layer 2 Filtering Project...... - TCP-IP ; Is there anyone who knows how to implement this project, and what r all necessary thing to be considered while doing this project..... The idea of this project is to implement a filter at layer 2 (Ethernet). The user will ...

  1. Layer 2 Filtering Project......

    Is there anyone who knows how to implement this project, and what r all
    necessary thing to be considered while doing this project.....

    The idea of this project is to implement a filter at layer 2
    (Ethernet). The user will be given a command line utility and he can
    add and remove rules into this filter. Depending on the rule decision
    needs to be made on the current Ethernet frame. Following is the
    specification:

    1. The L2F gets started when the Linux Kernel boots up.
    2. The user is given a command line utility with the following
    syntax:
    1. -add -s -d
    -a
    3. Once the user enters adds the rule the L2f will add a node to its
    internal linked list. The L2F need to capture the Ethernet frame and
    extract source and destination mac addresses. If it matches any of the
    existing rules it should perform that action. The linked list should
    take care of all error conditions.

  2. Re: Layer 2 Filtering Project......

    On 2006-09-15 05:05:35 -0400, "abhils44@gmail.com" said:

    > The idea of this project is to implement a filter at layer 2
    > (Ethernet). The user will be given a command line utility and he can
    > add and remove rules into this filter. Depending on the rule decision
    > needs to be made on the current Ethernet frame. Following is the
    > specification:

    Since I was thinking of it tonight, check out OpenBSD's PF facility,
    which includes just this kind of functionality - perhaps the code base
    in the OpenBSD kernel can be a starting point for your project - good
    luck!

    /dmfh

    ----
    ----