reachable dest by port - TCP-IP

This is a discussion on reachable dest by port - TCP-IP ; our corp network conists of many branches connected with routers, but with various filters applied, so not every port on every branch is forwarded/handled. i'd like to test reachability/availability of some ports [in fact services] on some servers, from various ...

  1. reachable dest by port

    our corp network conists of many branches connected with routers, but with
    various filters applied, so not every port on every branch is
    forwarded/handled.
    i'd like to test reachability/availability of some ports [in fact services]
    on some servers, from various branches.

    q:
    is there some tool [for win] that can tell me:
    port xxx on server yyy received your test packet, but refused to sent answer
    [or answer lost].

    so, i want to test, in case of service not operational for some branch, is
    the problem with outbound path [from branch to server], service on tested
    server itself, or return [inbound] path

    of course, if service is functional [like mail or ftp], no testing needed.

    any idea?
    thnx.

  2. Re: reachable dest by port

    In article , "sali"
    wrote:

    > our corp network conists of many branches connected with routers, but with
    > various filters applied, so not every port on every branch is
    > forwarded/handled.
    > i'd like to test reachability/availability of some ports [in fact services]
    > on some servers, from various branches.

    nmap

    --
    Barry Margolin, barmar@alum.mit.edu
    Arlington, MA

  3. Re: reachable dest by port

    "Barry Margolin" wrote in message
    > In article , "sali"
    > wrote:
    >
    > > our corp network conists of many branches connected with routers, but

    with
    > > various filters applied, so not every port on every branch is
    > > forwarded/handled.
    > > i'd like to test reachability/availability of some ports [in fact

    services]
    > > on some servers, from various branches.

    > nmap

    thnx. it solved problem.
    i used win version from //insecure.org/nmap
    accompanied background tech doc also helpfull