PC can ping website, can't get there by http - TCP-IP

This is a discussion on PC can ping website, can't get there by http - TCP-IP ; not sure if this is the best group for this, but here goes. I spent 5 hours yesterday trying to narrow this down, and hope someone can help. small office, 12 PCs, all Windows XP. yesterday they had a DLink ...

  1. PC can ping website, can't get there by http

    not sure if this is the best group for this, but here goes. I spent 5
    hours yesterday trying to narrow this down, and hope someone can help.

    small office, 12 PCs, all Windows XP. yesterday they had a DLink
    router. today they put into place a Watchguard Firebox X20E. the
    configuration seems to be fine. However, only 3 of the 12 PCs can
    consistently browse the web. all can do SMTP/POP, and all can get to
    some web sites.

    this is an office in Montreal with a DSL connection with Bell Canada.
    static IP address. all the clients are DHCP, all are getting
    addresses. Windows firewall turned off.

    on a problem PC, I can nslookup, ping, and tracert a host (say
    www.boston.com). it will resolve the name and I get a response. if I
    try that address in a browser (both IE and Firefox) it just keeps on
    trying - doesn't even get around to saying "the page cannot be
    displayed". won't get there via address only either. the browser
    (both IE and Firefox) just run like they are loading the page.

    Thanks in advance for any and all help.
    Brian

  2. Re: PC can ping website, can't get there by http

    Determined that this has to do with the MTU packet size on the
    workstations and the fact that this is a PPPoE connection.

  3. Re: PC can ping website, can't get there by http

    Brian wrote:
    > Determined that this has to do with the MTU packet size on the
    > workstations and the fact that this is a PPPoE connection.

    By the way, you may be fixing one symptom rather than the problem. If
    the problem is that the router is blocking all ICMP, including required
    ICMP, this "solution" still leaves the problem.

    DS

  4. Re: PC can ping website, can't get there by http

    Hello,

    David Schwartz a écrit :
    > Brian wrote:
    >
    >>Determined that this has to do with the MTU packet size on the
    >>workstations and the fact that this is a PPPoE connection.

    > By the way, you may be fixing one symptom rather than the problem. If
    > the problem is that the router is blocking all ICMP, including required
    > ICMP, this "solution" still leaves the problem.

    Alas the (in)famous MTU problem with PPPoE is often due to a design flaw
    in the ISP's network, an MTU mismatch at the ends of the PPP connection.
    Therefore the ISP is the one who should send the ICMP Fragmentation
    Needed to remote hosts but doesn't. This results in silent packet loss
    somewhere in the path from the ISP to the subscriber.

+ Reply to Thread