Question about subnets and routing - TCP-IP

This is a discussion on Question about subnets and routing - TCP-IP ; Hi I have a question about subnets and routing that I hope someone could help me out with. Say, for instance, I have the IP address 60.189.100.240 Now, this address if it was used with a subnet mask of /24 ...

  1. Question about subnets and routing

    Hi

    I have a question about subnets and routing that I hope someone could
    help me out with.

    Say, for instance, I have the IP address 60.189.100.240

    Now, this address if it was used with a subnet mask of /24 would be
    different than if used with a subnet mask of /8.

    The /24 would indicate that the network address was 60.189.100.0
    whereas the /8 would say that the network address was 60.0.0.0

    If we have a situation where routing protocols which did not use subnet
    masks, e.g RIP1, were used, how would this work in a network? Or is the
    answer that it simply won't?

    Also, say on the internet, if there were two machines using the address
    60.189.100.241 with the two subnet masks I mentioned above, how would
    we be able to differentiate between the two? Do some routers on the
    internet use certain routing protocols or is it a mix?

    Thanks in advance.

  2. Re: Question about subnets and routing

    Hello,

    dilan.weerasinghe@gmail.com a écrit :

    > Say, for instance, I have the IP address 60.189.100.240
    >
    > Now, this address if it was used with a subnet mask of /24 would be
    > different than if used with a subnet mask of /8.

    Not really, it would still be the same address. Some routes would be
    different, that's all.

    > The /24 would indicate that the network address was 60.189.100.0
    > whereas the /8 would say that the network address was 60.0.0.0
    >
    > If we have a situation where routing protocols which did not use subnet
    > masks, e.g RIP1, were used, how would this work in a network? Or is the
    > answer that it simply won't?

    RIPv1 assumes classful addressing, so it assumes /8 for a class A
    address, /16 for a class B address and so on.

    > Also, say on the internet, if there were two machines using the address
    > 60.189.100.241 with the two subnet masks I mentioned above, how would
    > we be able to differentiate between the two? Do some routers on the
    > internet use certain routing protocols or is it a mix?

    There can't be more than one host with the same IP address in the same
    internet. It won't work. That's what IP addresses are about : uniquely
    identifying hosts in an internet.

+ Reply to Thread