IP 0.0.0.0/0 - 0.0.0.0/32 - TCP-IP

This is a discussion on IP 0.0.0.0/0 - 0.0.0.0/32 - TCP-IP ; [snip: how to block every fourth (ordinal) host IP address of /26 networks] > > > permit ip x.x.x.4 255.255.255.192 is the line you're looking for. The Dude wrote: [snip] > I do not see how your line can block ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Results 21 to 24 of 24

  1. Re: IP 0.0.0.0/0 - 0.0.0.0/32

    [snip: how to block every fourth (ordinal) host IP address of /26
    networks]

    > > > permit ip x.x.x.4 255.255.255.192 is the line you're looking for.

    The Dude wrote:
    [snip]
    > I do not see how your line can block every 4 th host and how your
    > line can be any different than

    You can't see it because you don't understand binary. It's just that
    simple. I hope you're a damn good chess player because you will not go
    very far in the tech field with your current attitude. You lack the
    fundamental "gee, I wonder why that is....let me find out!"
    requirement. There are people you can learn from and there are people
    you can safely ignore. It's up to you to decide who fits the former
    and who fits in the latter.

    > "permit ip x.x.x.4 0.0.0.63". Note: ACL uses wildcards.

    As does my "permit ip x.x.x.4 255.255.255.192" Again, you lack the
    foundation. It's time to hit the books again and try to understand the
    concepts.

    --

    hsb

    Due to the volume of email that I receive, I may not be able to

  2. Re: IP 0.0.0.0/0 - 0.0.0.0/32

    The Dude wrote:
    [Briggs and are, of course, talking about wildcard masking on Cisco
    routers]

    > 255.255.255.255 is called host mask and specifies the network of one
    > host. In the following example it's used to advertise a loopback
    > network:
    >
    > (config)# int loopback 0
    > (config-if)# ip address 192.168.31.33 255.255.255.255

    Dude,
    Couple of Mark Twain's quotes are apropos here:

    1) It is wiser to find out than to suppose.
    2) It is best to keep your mouth shut and be presumed ignorant than to
    open it and remove all doubt. (or any variation of this quote)

    If you want to make it in this field, you have to take #1 to heart.

    --

    hsb

    Due to the volume of email that I receive, I may not be able to

  3. Re: IP 0.0.0.0/0 - 0.0.0.0/32

    "Hansang Bae" wrote in message
    > The Dude wrote:
    > [Briggs and are, of course, talking about wildcard masking on Cisco
    > routers]
    >
    >> 255.255.255.255 is called host mask and specifies the network of one
    >> host. In the following example it's used to advertise a loopback
    >> network:
    >>
    >> (config)# int loopback 0
    >> (config-if)# ip address 192.168.31.33 255.255.255.255

    > Dude,
    > Couple of Mark Twain's quotes are apropos here:
    >
    > 1) It is wiser to find out than to suppose.
    > 2) It is best to keep your mouth shut and be presumed ignorant than to
    > open it and remove all doubt. (or any variation of this quote)
    >
    > If you want to make it in this field, you have to take #1 to heart.

    You suppose first (based on your knowledge and experience) and you find out
    next.

    The second one suggests that people are born ignorant and should die
    ignorant.

    As for binary here is a way for you to learn how to memorize things:

    128 192 224 240 248 252 254 255
    128 64 32 16 8 4 2 1
    1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

    32
    48
    64 64
    70
    96 96
    112
    128 128 128
    144
    160 160
    176
    192 192
    208
    224

    If you do not understand any of the above, feel free to ask. That's what I
    am here for!

    The Dude

  4. Re: IP 0.0.0.0/0 - 0.0.0.0/32

    The Dude wrote:
    [snip]
    > As for binary here is a way for you to learn how to memorize things:
    > 128 192 224 240 248 252 254 255
    > 128 64 32 16 8 4 2 1
    > 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

    Herein lies the issue at heart. You want to "memorize" something
    because you simply do not understand binary math. If you understand
    binary math you would

    a) understand what the hell I'm talking about
    b) understand what masking is all about
    c) understand the subnet mask and wildcard masks are different - but
    is not limited to 255.255.255.x and 0.0.0.x syntax for the former and
    the latter
    d) understand how to derive complicated ACL wildcard masks.

    > If you do not understand any of the above, feel free to ask. That's
    > what I am here for!

    Something tells me that will not happen, but hey, you never know.
    Thanks for the offer.