website blocked on 1 cpu - using 2 browsers, but not another cpu - group?? - TCP-IP

This is a discussion on website blocked on 1 cpu - using 2 browsers, but not another cpu - group?? - TCP-IP ; Can anyone suggest the appropriate group for the following problem: On my desktop I can't get to dpreview.com (times out) without using a virtual browser. I've tried getting to the site with both Firefox and IE6. I have no problems ...

  1. website blocked on 1 cpu - using 2 browsers, but not another cpu - group??

    Can anyone suggest the appropriate group for the following problem:

    On my desktop I can't get to dpreview.com (times out) without using a
    virtual browser. I've tried getting to the site with both Firefox and
    IE6. I have no problems getting to the site using my laptop.

    I'm guessing it's some internet setting that is common to both Firefox
    and IE. But i can't figure out why it only affects one website.

    I use a wireless router for both my desktop and laptop.

    Thanks

  2. Re: website blocked on 1 cpu - using 2 browsers, but not another cpu - group??

    In article <1156141632.755693.123120@b28g2000cwb.googlegroups. com>,
    wrote:
    >Can anyone suggest the appropriate group for the following problem:

    >On my desktop I can't get to dpreview.com (times out) without using a
    >virtual browser. I've tried getting to the site with both Firefox and
    >IE6. I have no problems getting to the site using my laptop.

    >I'm guessing it's some internet setting that is common to both Firefox
    >and IE. But i can't figure out why it only affects one website.

    >I use a wireless router for both my desktop and laptop.

    That's the sort of problem that could occur if your MTU was larger
    than the connection could support. Do you happen to be using ADSL
    with PPPoE, or do you happen to be using a VPN, or do you happen
    to be using VLANs (802.1Q) ?

    Your virtual browser might happen to have a smaller MTU. Alternately,
    your virtual browser might be within an operating system configuration
    set up for Path MTU Dectection (PMTUD).

    If you are running some kind of firewall, then it is certainly possible
    that you have accidently blocked PMTUD -- it is common not to think
    about PMTUD when chosing what to block. In order to allow PMTUD,
    you must allow ICMP Fragmentation Needed packets in from all sources.
    ICMP Fragmentation Needed is a specialization of ICMP Unreachable,
    and there are various reasons why it is beneficial to allow all
    of the varieties of ICMP Unreachable in. Also, since you mention IE6
    you must be using Windows: TCP Properties -> Advanced allows you to
    control whether the IP stack will attempt to use PMTUD; check your
    current setting, and if it is not already enabled now, then turn it on.

+ Reply to Thread