Using a wireless card - TCP-IP

This is a discussion on Using a wireless card - TCP-IP ; hey folks..... Please clear one more doubt of mine. This might sound naive. I havent used laptops much.... I have a friend of mine who has a laptop with a slot with an ethernet card. She has wireless internet connection ...

  1. Using a wireless card

    hey folks.....
    Please clear one more doubt of mine. This might sound naive. I havent
    used laptops much....
    I have a friend of mine who has a laptop with a slot with an ethernet
    card.
    She has wireless internet connection in their home.
    She wants to use internet on her computer. I suggested her to buy a
    wireless card and replace the ethernet card with the wireless card.
    I just want to make sure whether replacing an ethernet card on the
    laptop with wireless card would help getting internet.
    thanx
    Shaun.

  2. Re: Using a wireless card

    oneders wrote:
    > hey folks.....
    > Please clear one more doubt of mine. This might sound naive. I havent
    > used laptops much....
    > I have a friend of mine who has a laptop with a slot with an ethernet
    > card.
    > She has wireless internet connection in their home.
    > She wants to use internet on her computer. I suggested her to buy a
    > wireless card and replace the ethernet card with the wireless card.
    > I just want to make sure whether replacing an ethernet card on the
    > laptop with wireless card would help getting internet.

    Assuming that she installs the proper drivers, a wireless card should
    look exactly like any other ethernet card to the system. There will be
    some additional tools that your friend will need, 'cause you can (and
    sometimes must) pick /which/ "LAN" (wireless ESSID) you want your
    wireless connection to connect to; you don't get this sort of choice
    with a wired ethernet card because there's only one LAN to choose from
    (the one on the wire).

    HTH
    --
    Lew Pitcher