Re: MAC Address - TCP-IP

This is a discussion on Re: MAC Address - TCP-IP ; On Thu, 17 Aug 2006 14:29:43 -0300, José de Figueiredo wrote: > Hi all > > Is there a way to connect to an network node directly to your MAC address, > if i don't know your IP address ?Is ...

  1. Re: MAC Address

    On Thu, 17 Aug 2006 14:29:43 -0300, José de Figueiredo wrote:

    > Hi all
    >
    > Is there a way to connect to an network node directly to your MAC address,
    > if i don't know your IP address ?Is there a way to connect to an network
    > node directly to your MAC address ?

    If you want IP connectivity, you need to know the IP address. One
    exception, some embedded devices react to IP packets addressed to their
    mac as if addressed to their IP address, but those are rather rare.

    M4
    --
    Redundancy is a great way to introduce more single points of failure.

  2. Re: MAC Address

    Martijn Lievaart wrote:
    > On Thu, 17 Aug 2006 14:29:43 -0300, Jos de Figueiredo wrote:
    >
    > > Hi all
    > >
    > > Is there a way to connect to an network node directly to your MAC address,
    > > if i don't know your IP address ?Is there a way to connect to an network
    > > node directly to your MAC address ?

    > If you want IP connectivity, you need to know the IP address. One
    > exception, some embedded devices react to IP packets addressed to their
    > mac as if addressed to their IP address, but those are rather rare.

    It's sometimes possible to get away with this by using broadcasts. Of
    course this requires the cooperation of the other host.

  3. Re: MAC Address

    wrote in message
    news:1155942750.180476.68820@m73g2000cwd.googlegro ups.com...

    Martijn Lievaart wrote:
    > On Thu, 17 Aug 2006 14:29:43 -0300, Jos de Figueiredo wrote:
    >
    > > Hi all
    > >
    > > Is there a way to connect to an network node directly to your MAC
    > > address,
    > > if i don't know your IP address ?Is there a way to connect to an network
    > > node directly to your MAC address ?

    > If you want IP connectivity, you need to know the IP address. One
    > exception, some embedded devices react to IP packets addressed to their
    > mac as if addressed to their IP address, but those are rather rare.

    It's sometimes possible to get away with this by using broadcasts. Of
    course this requires the cooperation of the other host.

    Will RARP help to resolve the MAC address to an IP address?

    The Dude

  4. Re: MAC Address

    The Dude wrote:
    > wrote in message
    > news:1155942750.180476.68820@m73g2000cwd.googlegro ups.com...
    >
    > Martijn Lievaart wrote:
    > > On Thu, 17 Aug 2006 14:29:43 -0300, Jos de Figueiredo wrote:
    > >
    > > > Hi all
    > > >
    > > > Is there a way to connect to an network node directly to your MAC
    > > > address,
    > > > if i don't know your IP address ?Is there a way to connect to an network
    > > > node directly to your MAC address ?

    > > If you want IP connectivity, you need to know the IP address. One
    > > exception, some embedded devices react to IP packets addressed to their
    > > mac as if addressed to their IP address, but those are rather rare.

    > It's sometimes possible to get away with this by using broadcasts. Of
    > course this requires the cooperation of the other host.
    >
    > Will RARP help to resolve the MAC address to an IP address?

    RARP would allow a node to determine its IP address. That requires
    that the node do the RARP, and that there's a RARP server on the LAN
    that knows the IP address that's supposed to be assigned. Given that
    RARP is pretty much obsolete (replaced by BOOTP and then DHCP), this is
    not likely the solution you're looking for. If you do have a server on
    the LAN that knows how to hand out IP addresses, it will be running
    DHCP, so use that, if you can.

  5. Re: MAC Address

    In article <1156392011.932255.3550@h48g2000cwc.googlegroups.co m>,
    "robertwessel2@yahoo.com" wrote:

    > The Dude wrote:
    > > Will RARP help to resolve the MAC address to an IP address?

    > RARP would allow a node to determine its IP address. That requires
    > that the node do the RARP, and that there's a RARP server on the LAN
    > that knows the IP address that's supposed to be assigned. Given that
    > RARP is pretty much obsolete (replaced by BOOTP and then DHCP), this is
    > not likely the solution you're looking for. If you do have a server on
    > the LAN that knows how to hand out IP addresses, it will be running
    > DHCP, so use that, if you can.

    I think the protocol The Dude may have been thinking of is Inverse ARP
    -- you send a packet to a specific link-layer address, and it sends back
    its IP address. However, this is rarely implemented; the only instances
    I know of are Frame Relay (and maybe also ATM) nodes.

    --
    Barry Margolin, barmar@alum.mit.edu
    Arlington, MA