Available multicast address range - TCP-IP

This is a discussion on Available multicast address range - TCP-IP ; I am looking at the available (i.e. non-reserved) range of multicast addresses, based on IANA allocations ( http://www.iana.org/assignments/multicast-addresses ). I am not sure if I am reading the data correctly, but the only big chunk of available addresses that I ...

  1. Available multicast address range

    I am looking at the available (i.e. non-reserved) range of multicast
    addresses, based on IANA allocations
    (http://www.iana.org/assignments/multicast-addresses). I am not sure
    if I am reading the data correctly, but the only big chunk of available
    addresses that I am seeing is from 232.1.x.x to 232.255.x.x

    Is my reading of IANA allocations correct? Of course I still have 16M+
    addresses to choose from, so I am not complaining about lack of
    addresses.

    Thanks,
    Prashanth

  2. Re: Available multicast address range

    In article <1155676598.895212.205920@i3g2000cwc.googlegroups.c om>,
    wrote:
    >I am looking at the available (i.e. non-reserved) range of multicast
    >addresses, based on IANA allocations
    >(http://www.iana.org/assignments/multicast-addresses). I am not sure
    >if I am reading the data correctly, but the only big chunk of available
    >addresses that I am seeing is from 232.1.x.x to 232.255.x.x
    >
    >Is my reading of IANA allocations correct?

    No.

    It states in two places that the available range is
    232.0.1.0-232.255.255.255

    --
    -- Rod --
    rodd(at)polylogics(dot)com