unicast vs multicast, how many packets in the wireless network - TCP-IP

This is a discussion on unicast vs multicast, how many packets in the wireless network - TCP-IP ; Hi! I wonder if where a can find information about Unicast vs. multicast groups in wireless network. The information I am looking for is: How many packets is in the hole network when I want to send data to a ...

  1. unicast vs multicast, how many packets in the wireless network

    Hi!

    I wonder if where a can find information about Unicast vs. multicast
    groups in wireless network. The information I am looking for is: How
    many packets is in the hole network when I want to send data to a
    group with multicast compared with sending separate Unicast packets to
    all members in the group. Of course, there are many different wireless
    networks topologies. Moreover, there are differences in group sizes
    also.

    Regards
    Ulf Reiman

  2. Re: unicast vs multicast, how many packets in the wireless network

    In article <1155642828.262583.135570@i3g2000cwc.googlegroups.c om>,
    ulf.reiman@gmail.com wrote:

    > Hi!
    >
    > I wonder if where a can find information about Unicast vs. multicast
    > groups in wireless network. The information I am looking for is: How
    > many packets is in the hole network when I want to send data to a
    > group with multicast compared with sending separate Unicast packets to
    > all members in the group. Of course, there are many different wireless
    > networks topologies. Moreover, there are differences in group sizes
    > also.

    With unicast, a separate packet will be sent to every member of the
    group.

    With multicast, any link that leads to multiple group members should
    only have a single copy of any packet.

    That's true for wired networks, but I'm not sure how wireless networks
    do multicast. Because of the encryption mechanisms that are usually
    enabled on wireless nets, it might not be possible to broadcast a single
    packet that all nodes can read. If this is true, a wireless LAN should
    be treated like a collection of point-to-point links in a star
    configuration.

    --
    Barry Margolin, barmar@alum.mit.edu
    Arlington, MA

  3. Re: unicast vs multicast, how many packets in the wireless network

    Barry Margolin skrev:

    > In article <1155642828.262583.135570@i3g2000cwc.googlegroups.c om>,
    > ulf.reiman@gmail.com wrote:
    >
    > > Hi!
    > >
    > > I wonder if where a can find information about Unicast vs. multicast
    > > groups in wireless network. The information I am looking for is: How
    > > many packets is in the hole network when I want to send data to a
    > > group with multicast compared with sending separate Unicast packets to
    > > all members in the group. Of course, there are many different wireless
    > > networks topologies. Moreover, there are differences in group sizes
    > > also.

    > With unicast, a separate packet will be sent to every member of the
    > group.
    >
    > With multicast, any link that leads to multiple group members should
    > only have a single copy of any packet.
    >
    > That's true for wired networks, but I'm not sure how wireless networks
    > do multicast. Because of the encryption mechanisms that are usually
    > enabled on wireless nets, it might not be possible to broadcast a single
    > packet that all nodes can read. If this is true, a wireless LAN should
    > be treated like a collection of point-to-point links in a star
    > configuration.

    A: Yes, you have right in wired network but my problem is wireless,
    because of in wireless all sent messages is broadcasted. This must be a
    choice many have thought about, but when is Unicast better that
    multicast, when looking on number of packets in network, and different
    sizes for the groups.
    /Ulf
    > --
    > Barry Margolin, barmar@alum.mit.edu
    > Arlington, MA

  4. Re: unicast vs multicast, how many packets in the wireless network

    In article <1155732693.048980.52960@h48g2000cwc.googlegroups.c om>,
    ulf.reiman@gmail.com wrote:

    > Barry Margolin skrev:
    >
    > > In article <1155642828.262583.135570@i3g2000cwc.googlegroups.c om>,
    > > ulf.reiman@gmail.com wrote:
    > >
    > > > Hi!
    > > >
    > > > I wonder if where a can find information about Unicast vs. multicast
    > > > groups in wireless network. The information I am looking for is: How
    > > > many packets is in the hole network when I want to send data to a
    > > > group with multicast compared with sending separate Unicast packets to
    > > > all members in the group. Of course, there are many different wireless
    > > > networks topologies. Moreover, there are differences in group sizes
    > > > also.

    > > With unicast, a separate packet will be sent to every member of the
    > > group.
    > >
    > > With multicast, any link that leads to multiple group members should
    > > only have a single copy of any packet.
    > >
    > > That's true for wired networks, but I'm not sure how wireless networks
    > > do multicast. Because of the encryption mechanisms that are usually
    > > enabled on wireless nets, it might not be possible to broadcast a single
    > > packet that all nodes can read. If this is true, a wireless LAN should
    > > be treated like a collection of point-to-point links in a star
    > > configuration.

    > A: Yes, you have right in wired network but my problem is wireless,
    > because of in wireless all sent messages is broadcasted. This must be a
    > choice many have thought about, but when is Unicast better that
    > multicast, when looking on number of packets in network, and different
    > sizes for the groups.

    If you're sending over the public Internet, multicast is generally not
    available. Most consumer ISPs don't offer multicast routing.

    If multicast is available, I think it would almost always be preferred
    when performing one-to-many or many-to-many transmissions. It can't
    transmit more packets than unicast.