Link Utilization - TCP-IP

This is a discussion on Link Utilization - TCP-IP ; Hello All, Let us consider an experiment with one high speed TCP. What does it *signify* when we say that "link utilization is 95% without background traffic and it drops to 65% when we introduce background traffic". How is Link ...

  1. Link Utilization

    Hello All,

    Let us consider an experiment with one high speed TCP. What does it
    *signify* when we say that "link utilization is 95% without background
    traffic and it drops to 65% when we introduce background traffic".

    How is Link Utilization measuered? It is ratio of.. ?

    Thanks in advance,
    Shri

  2. Re: Link Utilization

    Shrikrishna Khare wrote:
    > Hello All,
    >
    > Let us consider an experiment with one high speed TCP. What does it
    > *signify* when we say that "link utilization is 95% without background
    > traffic and it drops to 65% when we introduce background traffic".
    >
    > How is Link Utilization measuered? It is ratio of.. ?
    >

    > Thanks in advance,
    > Shri

    Shri:

    When is the homework or takehome exam due ?

  3. Re: Link Utilization

    Justa,

    There has been misconception. Please refer section 4 on Utilization
    in following paper.

    http://www.csc.ncsu.edu/faculty/rhee...asteppaper.htm

    I have been reading the aforementioned paper *out of interest* and
    could not fully grasp significance of link utilization in that context.

    I am yet to start my graduation courses. I would be starting them
    this fall. Please check your premise before passing sarcastic remarks.

    I did search for the answer a lot, however could not get succinct
    explanation for the same hence posted on this forum with the confidence
    that I would get one.

    I would be glad if someone helps me out with that.

    ~ Shri

    Justa Lurker wrote:
    > Shrikrishna Khare wrote:
    > > Hello All,
    > >
    > > Let us consider an experiment with one high speed TCP. What does it
    > > *signify* when we say that "link utilization is 95% without background
    > > traffic and it drops to 65% when we introduce background traffic".
    > >
    > > How is Link Utilization measuered? It is ratio of.. ?
    > >

    > > Thanks in advance,
    > > Shri
    > >

    > Shri:
    >
    > When is the homework or takehome exam due ?

+ Reply to Thread