HP 4018GL Switch Port Problem - TCP-IP

This is a discussion on HP 4018GL Switch Port Problem - TCP-IP ; Good Afternoon, I have been having a strange problem with one of my 4108GL HP switches. Quite often I will get a call from a user that is connected to this 4108 switch complaining they have no network connection. When ...

  1. HP 4018GL Switch Port Problem

    Good Afternoon,

    I have been having a strange problem with one of my 4108GL HP switches.
    Quite often I will get a call from a user that is connected to this
    4108 switch complaining they have no network connection. When I go to
    look at it it seems the light on the port is just solid (but lit) or it
    may flash really SLOW. I sometimes can take the patch cable out of the
    port and put it into another port on the switch and it may work may.
    Sometimes I can even plug it into another port and if it works, take it
    out and plug it into the original port that wasn't working and it may
    work then!! Weird! I tried upgrading the firmware...nothing changed.
    Any ideas???

    Thanks,
    Wes

  2. Re: HP 4018GL Switch Port Problem

    Wes wrote:
    > Good Afternoon,
    >
    > I have been having a strange problem with one of my 4108GL HP switches.
    > Quite often I will get a call from a user that is connected to this
    > 4108 switch complaining they have no network connection. When I go to
    > look at it it seems the light on the port is just solid (but lit) or it
    > may flash really SLOW. I sometimes can take the patch cable out of the
    > port and put it into another port on the switch and it may work may.
    > Sometimes I can even plug it into another port and if it works, take it
    > out and plug it into the original port that wasn't working and it may
    > work then!! Weird! I tried upgrading the firmware...nothing changed.
    > Any ideas???
    >
    > Thanks,
    > Wes

    What speed are the connections that are giving you problems and what
    kind of port (speed and module type) are they plugged into? What speed
    ports (and module type) are they generally exchanging traffic with?

    What firmware version? Is QoS passthrough enabled?

    The 10/100/1000 modules may not work reliably at 10 or 100Mbps.

    DS

  3. Re: HP 4018GL Switch Port Problem

    Wes wrote:
    >I have been having a strange problem with one of my 4108GL HP switches.
    > Quite often I will get a call from a user that is connected to this
    >4108 switch complaining they have no network connection. When I go to
    >look at it it seems the light on the port is just solid (but lit) or it
    >may flash really SLOW. I sometimes can take the patch cable out of the
    >port and put it into another port on the switch and it may work may.
    >Sometimes I can even plug it into another port and if it works, take it
    >out and plug it into the original port that wasn't working and it may
    >work then!! Weird! I tried upgrading the firmware...nothing changed.
    >Any ideas???

    4108GL is a managed device, what does the log say about it? (check via
    the Web interface or serial port/telnet/ssh).

    You should really give this kind of information, if it doesn't log
    anything (unlikely) that too is important information!

    But based on experience with other devices, including other HP
    Procurve's I'd guess that you're managing to trigger the fault
    detection, ie it's disconnecting the port because it's seeing way to
    much bad things (illformed packets, CRC, overruns) on it.

    This is by no means limited to HP switches, and they're by no means
    the most aggressive. You probably has a large number of warning/error
    messages before it finally disconnects the port.

    You should really find out what's causing this, I've seen it a few
    times and every time it's pointed to a pretty bad problem (bad cable
    run, bad network card, bad NIC drivers on the machine, bad port on the
    switch).

    It's usually possible to figure out what is causing the problem by
    seeing how it behaves when things are changed...

    The NIC doesn't happen to be a onboard 3Com 3c2000 "LOM" based NIC by
    any chance? If so disable is ASAP and replace it with a working
    network card :-)

    Based on other HP Procurve models I'm familiar with it may have a
    "sensitivity" setting, as a temporary measure you may try lowering
    this, but you should realize that doing this may cause PROBLEMS for
    other machines on the network!

    IIRC it takes a little while before a "faulted" port is re-enabled
    which explains the behavior you mentioned earlier.

+ Reply to Thread