Difference between System 5 and Unix - TCP-IP

This is a discussion on Difference between System 5 and Unix - TCP-IP ; hey guys I am unable to get the ans for this Q... Please help. What is the primary difference between a system 5 & BSD style Unix operating system? Thanx Shaun...

  1. Difference between System 5 and Unix

    hey guys
    I am unable to get the ans for this Q... Please help.
    What is the primary difference between a system 5 & BSD style Unix
    operating system?
    Thanx Shaun

  2. Re: Difference between System 5 and Unix

    "oneders" writes:

    >hey guys
    >I am unable to get the ans for this Q... Please help.
    >What is the primary difference between a system 5 & BSD style Unix
    >operating system?
    >Thanx Shaun

    That's not a simple question. Are you asking for differences in commands,
    memory systems, interprocess communication models?

    What class is this for:-)

    Craig

  3. Re: Difference between System 5 and Unix

    oneders wrote:

    > hey guys
    > I am unable to get the ans for this Q... Please help.
    > What is the primary difference between a system 5 & BSD style Unix
    > operating system?

    Trick question. There is no difference between System V and Unix, System V
    was the last version to come out of AT&T Bell Labs before the sale, so it
    is as "Unix" as Unix gets.

    Now if you want to know about the differences between System V and BSD
    (which is traceable to AT&T source code but has had all the AT&T
    intellectual property clean-room engineered out of it) that's a different
    question.

    --
    --John
    to email, dial "usenet" and validate

  4. Re: Difference between System 5 and Unix

    In article ,
    Craig Partridge wrote:

    >>What is the primary difference between a system 5 & BSD style Unix
    >>operating system?

    >That's not a simple question. Are you asking for differences in commands,
    >memory systems, interprocess communication models?

    why such a short list?
    which version? For example SVR3 had that funky network code while
    SVR4 had the BSD code shorn of copyright notices and jammed into STREAMS.

    >What class is this for:-)

    The instructor should be fired if it's for a class other than
    "Ancient, Boring, Utterly Irrelevant, and Often Apocryphal History."

    ]
    ]Now if you want to know about the differences between System V and BSD
    ](which is traceable to AT&T source code but has had all the AT&T
    ]intellectual property clean-room engineered out of it) that's a different
    ]question.

    That's mistaken without a more precise specification of "BSD." Anything
    before 4.4BSD included various AT&T bits, which may be why commercial
    outfits such as Sun Microssystems had AT&T licenses. If you believe
    the AT&T lawyers in the BSDI lawsuit, there were AT&T bits in 4.4BSD.

    and since 4.4BSD-Lite was the last version from CSRG and so as "BSD" as
    UNIX gets, ...

    Vernon Schryver vjs@rhyolite.com

  5. Re: Difference between System 5 and Unix

    Craig Partridge wrote:
    > "oneders" writes:
    >
    > >hey guys
    > >I am unable to get the ans for this Q... Please help.
    > >What is the primary difference between a system 5 & BSD style Unix
    > >operating system?
    > >Thanx Shaun

    > That's not a simple question. Are you asking for differences in commands,
    > memory systems, interprocess communication models?
    >
    > What class is this for:-)
    >
    > Craig

    Hi Craig
    Thanx for your reply.
    This isnt for a class....I was applying for jobs and its one of the
    questions in the questionnaire...
    So I was wondering what could be the answer for it as I didnt know how
    to approach it.
    Please let me know a brief of what you know about the diffences or any
    link would also be of help.
    Thanx again
    Shaun

  6. Re: Difference between System 5 and Unix

    Hi John
    yeah I guess thats what they meant...
    I would really appreciate if you could let me know the difference
    between UNIX and BSD.
    Shaun
    J. Clarke wrote:
    > oneders wrote:
    >
    > > hey guys
    > > I am unable to get the ans for this Q... Please help.
    > > What is the primary difference between a system 5 & BSD style Unix
    > > operating system?

    > Trick question. There is no difference between System V and Unix, System V
    > was the last version to come out of AT&T Bell Labs before the sale, so it
    > is as "Unix" as Unix gets.
    >
    > Now if you want to know about the differences between System V and BSD
    > (which is traceable to AT&T source code but has had all the AT&T
    > intellectual property clean-room engineered out of it) that's a different
    > question.
    >
    > > Thanx Shaun

    > --
    > --John
    > to email, dial "usenet" and validate
    > (was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)

  7. Re: Difference between System 5 and Unix

    In article <1154974735.485548.167410@i42g2000cwa.googlegroups. com>,
    oneders wrote:

    >> >What is the primary difference between a system 5 & BSD style Unix
    >> >operating system?

    >This isnt for a class....I was applying for jobs and its one of the
    >questions in the questionnaire...
    >So I was wondering what could be the answer for it as I didnt know how
    >to approach it.

    If the question is not just checking claims by the candidate to have
    been somehow involved in the UNIX computer business for more than 15
    years, then you should ask yourself whether you want to work for people
    who know so much less than they think they do that they would ask such
    an unanswerable question.

    >Please let me know a brief of what you know about the diffences or any
    >link would also be of help.

    Again, the question makes as little sense as asking about the
    differences between Pontiac and Oldsmobile. Depending on your point
    of view, the dfferences are anywhere from trivial to vast.

    By many measures, the difference between SVR4 and 4.4BSD-Lite were
    larger than the differences between common current bundles of Linux and
    FreeBSD 6.1. On the other hand, if you count lines of source, the sizes
    of modern versions are so much larger that SV and BSD must have been
    almost identical. Assuming you have some notion about the differences
    between Linux and FreeBSD, how would you view someone who asks
    "What are the differences?" If someone asked me such questions, I
    couldn't answer except by asking "What is your real question? What do
    you really want to know and why?"

    Well, that's not quite true. 20 years ago I often grumbled along the
    lines of "AT&T code is COBOL, and 4.2BSD is student code."

    Vernon Schryver vjs@rhyolite.com

  8. Re: Difference between System 5 and Unix

  9. Re: Difference between System 5 and Unix

    In article ,
    Craig Partridge wrote:

    > "oneders" writes:
    >
    > >hey guys
    > >I am unable to get the ans for this Q... Please help.
    > >What is the primary difference between a system 5 & BSD style Unix
    > >operating system?
    > >Thanx Shaun

    > That's not a simple question. Are you asking for differences in commands,
    > memory systems, interprocess communication models?
    >
    > What class is this for:-)

    A better question is why he's asking this in a TCP/IP group rather than
    a Unix group.

    --
    Barry Margolin, barmar@alum.mit.edu
    Arlington, MA

  10. Re: Difference between System 5 and Unix

    On Mon, 07 Aug 2006, in the Usenet newsgroup comp.protocols.tcp-ip, in article
    , Barry Margolin wrote:

    >Craig Partridge wrote:

    >> "oneders" writes:

    >>>I am unable to get the ans for this Q... Please help.

    >> That's not a simple question. Are you asking for differences in commands,
    >> memory systems, interprocess communication models?

    >A better question is why he's asking this in a TCP/IP group rather than
    >a Unix group.

    Ah, but he did. Of the groups that I scan/read, I find

    comp.os.linux.networking: Difference between System 5 and Unix
    oneders@gmail.com 6 Aug 2006 23:12:47 -0700
    <1154931167.693743.3020@p79g2000cwp.googlegroups.co m>

    comp.protocols.tcp-ip: Difference between System 5 and Unix
    "oneders" 6 Aug 2006 23:10:48 -0700
    <1154931048.802164.202930@m73g2000cwd.googlegroups. com>

    comp.unix.misc: Difference between System 5 and Unix
    "oneders" 7 Aug 2006 19:51:16 -0700
    <1155005476.204872.93990@p79g2000cwp.googlegroups.c om>

    When I checked the comp.unix.misc a short time ago, he had one useful
    reply in that group. Some people can figure out how to post all over
    using google, but haven't figured out how to use it's primary tool - a
    thing called a "search engine".

    Old guy

  11. Re: Difference between System 5 and Unix

    As you have nothing better to do in life than to search where people
    post their queries.
    Moe Trin wrote:
    > On Mon, 07 Aug 2006, in the Usenet newsgroup comp.protocols.tcp-ip, in article
    > , Barry Margolin wrote:
    >
    > >Craig Partridge wrote:

    > >> That's not a simple question. Are you asking for differences in commands,
    > >> memory systems, interprocess communication models?

    > >A better question is why he's asking this in a TCP/IP group rather than
    > >a Unix group.

    > Ah, but he did. Of the groups that I scan/read, I find
    >
    > comp.os.linux.networking: Difference between System 5 and Unix
    > oneders@gmail.com 6 Aug 2006 23:12:47 -0700
    > <1154931167.693743.3020@p79g2000cwp.googlegroups.co m>
    >
    > comp.protocols.tcp-ip: Difference between System 5 and Unix
    > "oneders" 6 Aug 2006 23:10:48 -0700
    > <1154931048.802164.202930@m73g2000cwd.googlegroups. com>
    >
    > comp.unix.misc: Difference between System 5 and Unix
    > "oneders" 7 Aug 2006 19:51:16 -0700
    > <1155005476.204872.93990@p79g2000cwp.googlegroups.c om>
    >
    > When I checked the comp.unix.misc a short time ago, he had one useful
    > reply in that group. Some people can figure out how to post all over
    > using google, but haven't figured out how to use it's primary tool - a
    > thing called a "search engine".
    >
    > Old guy

  12. Re: Difference between System 5 and Unix

    You seem to have delusions of grandeur, so let me explain. I wrote:

    >> Ah, but he did. Of the groups that I scan/read, I find

    I scan some 90 newsgroups every day. It gets quite tiresome to see the same
    article posted to multiple groups, especially when it is off topic in many
    of the groups.

    >> Some people can figure out how to post all over
    >> using google, but haven't figured out how to use it's primary tool - a
    >> thing called a "search engine".

    That's a big hint for you. I neither know nor care if you posted the same
    question to comp.os.ms-windows.networking.win95 or any of the 2357 other
    sanctioned big-eight newsgroups or the tens of thousands of other newsgroups
    carried on a full-service news server. But using google, it would take but
    a few seconds to find out. Why don't you try it?

    Old guy

  13. Re: Difference between System 5 and Unix

    Well I did try google and the reuslts/answers werent that convincing.
    Thats why I thought of putting some posts in the groups in which I am
    member.
    Well thanx for reminding me of google, though, will keep that in mind.
    Adios
    Shaun
    Moe Trin wrote:
    > On 9 Aug 2006, in the Usenet newsgroup comp.protocols.tcp-ip, in article
    > <1155152332.843171.107260@i3g2000cwc.googlegroups.c om>, oneders wrote:
    >
    > >As you have nothing better to do in life than to search where people
    > >post their queries.

    > You seem to have delusions of grandeur, so let me explain. I wrote:
    >
    > >> Ah, but he did. Of the groups that I scan/read, I find

    > I scan some 90 newsgroups every day. It gets quite tiresome to see the same
    > article posted to multiple groups, especially when it is off topic in many
    > of the groups.
    >
    > >> Some people can figure out how to post all over
    > >> using google, but haven't figured out how to use it's primary tool - a
    > >> thing called a "search engine".

    > That's a big hint for you. I neither know nor care if you posted the same
    > question to comp.os.ms-windows.networking.win95 or any of the 2357 other
    > sanctioned big-eight newsgroups or the tens of thousands of other newsgroups
    > carried on a full-service news server. But using google, it would take but
    > a few seconds to find out. Why don't you try it?
    >
    > Old guy

+ Reply to Thread