what is the advantage of using Source address selection in IPv6?? - TCP-IP

This is a discussion on what is the advantage of using Source address selection in IPv6?? - TCP-IP ; Hi all I am implementing the IPv6 protocol. I wish to clarify some doubts regarding the implementation of it.I have a doubt regarding Source address selection algorithm in IPv6. First of all i wish to know, if the source address ...

  1. what is the advantage of using Source address selection in IPv6??

    Hi all

    I am implementing the IPv6 protocol. I wish to clarify some doubts
    regarding the implementation of it.I have a doubt regarding Source
    address selection algorithm in IPv6. First of all i wish to know, if
    the source address selection has any impact on the routing of the
    packet. What happens if we dont use source address selection algorithm
    in IPv6 and just use one address every time. I felt that performing
    source address selection every time when a packet is sent adds
    considerable over head in the critical data path.
    I would be gratefull, if some one can explain me the exact use of
    source address selection.

    Thank you
    Ravikanth Gudla
    (ravikanth0907@gmail.com)

  2. Re: what is the advantage of using Source address selection in IPv6??

    "ravikanth0907@gmail.com" writes:
    > I am implementing the IPv6 protocol. I wish to clarify some doubts
    > regarding the implementation of it.I have a doubt regarding Source
    > address selection algorithm in IPv6. First of all i wish to know, if
    > the source address selection has any impact on the routing of the
    > packet. What happens if we dont use source address selection algorithm
    > in IPv6 and just use one address every time.

    It depends.

    The most likely effect is that you won't keep up with address changes
    in the network. As your deprecated addresses fade away, your
    application will fall apart.

    > I felt that performing
    > source address selection every time when a packet is sent adds
    > considerable over head in the critical data path.

    I seriously doubt that this matters.

    First of all, you don't do source address selection more than once for
    connection-oriented protocols, such as TCP. Once set, the source
    address can't change for the life of the connection. And if you're
    sending bulk data over a protocol not designed for it (such as UDP),
    and thus you're worried about the per-packet overhead, then you
    probably have bigger problems to contend with anyway.

    Secondly, there's no reason that relatively smart hosts can't cache
    selection results and internally reuse them when the selection
    criteria (the rules and the addresses available) haven't changed.
    Thus, as long as you're using a good implementation, it's likely that
    it's no more actual overhead than binding a particular address.

    But if you're still concerned about it for your application, I would
    suggest testing your theory about the expense: try running the
    application once without binding the socket, and again with an
    explicit bind, and measure the results. Nothing settles such debates
    like a good, real-world test.

    --
    James Carlson, KISS Network

  3. Re: what is the advantage of using Source address selection in IPv6??

    wrote:

    > I am implementing the IPv6 protocol. I wish to clarify some doubts
    > regarding the implementation of it.I have a doubt regarding Source
    > address selection algorithm in IPv6. First of all i wish to know, if
    > the source address selection has any impact on the routing of the
    > packet. What happens if we dont use source address selection algorithm
    > in IPv6 and just use one address every time. I felt that performing
    > source address selection every time when a packet is sent adds
    > considerable over head in the critical data path.

    I think the problem is that IPv6 assigns multiple IP addresses to each
    interface, but they do not all have the same scope. An extreme example,
    you wouldn't use a link-local source address for packets destined to the
    Internet. But there are less extreme examples, where a given source
    address may not be reachable from the destination network at which
    you're trying to open a session.

    RFC 3484 discusses these issues.

    Bert

  4. Re: what is the advantage of using Source address selection in IPv6??

    Thank you james..

    James Carlson wrote:
    > "ravikanth0907@gmail.com" writes:
    > > I am implementing the IPv6 protocol. I wish to clarify some doubts
    > > regarding the implementation of it.I have a doubt regarding Source
    > > address selection algorithm in IPv6. First of all i wish to know, if
    > > the source address selection has any impact on the routing of the
    > > packet. What happens if we dont use source address selection algorithm
    > > in IPv6 and just use one address every time.

    > It depends.
    >
    > The most likely effect is that you won't keep up with address changes
    > in the network. As your deprecated addresses fade away, your
    > application will fall apart.
    >
    > > I felt that performing
    > > source address selection every time when a packet is sent adds
    > > considerable over head in the critical data path.

    > I seriously doubt that this matters.
    >
    > First of all, you don't do source address selection more than once for
    > connection-oriented protocols, such as TCP. Once set, the source
    > address can't change for the life of the connection. And if you're
    > sending bulk data over a protocol not designed for it (such as UDP),
    > and thus you're worried about the per-packet overhead, then you
    > probably have bigger problems to contend with anyway.
    >
    > Secondly, there's no reason that relatively smart hosts can't cache
    > selection results and internally reuse them when the selection
    > criteria (the rules and the addresses available) haven't changed.
    > Thus, as long as you're using a good implementation, it's likely that
    > it's no more actual overhead than binding a particular address.
    >
    > But if you're still concerned about it for your application, I would
    > suggest testing your theory about the expense: try running the
    > application once without binding the socket, and again with an
    > explicit bind, and measure the results. Nothing settles such debates
    > like a good, real-world test.
    >
    > --
    > James Carlson, KISS Network
    > Sun Microsystems / 1 Network Drive 71.232W Vox +1 781 442 2084
    > MS UBUR02-212 / Burlington MA 01803-2757 42.496N Fax +1 781 442 1677

  5. Re: what is the advantage of using Source address selection in IPv6??

    In article <1155024998.015631.88440@m73g2000cwd.googlegroups.c om>,
    "ravikanth0907@gmail.com" wrote:

    > Thank you james..

    Was it really necessary to quote 100 lines just for this?

    --
    Barry Margolin, barmar@alum.mit.edu
    Arlington, MA