Yet another TIME-WAIT question - TCP-IP

This is a discussion on Yet another TIME-WAIT question - TCP-IP ; In the state diagram in RFC 793 it shows that the active closer (the first to *issue* a FIN) goes from ESTABLISHED via FIN-WAIT-1, FIN-WAIT-2 (if the ACK and reverse FIN are received separately), TIME-WAIT, to CLOSED. The passive closer ...

  1. Yet another TIME-WAIT question

    In the state diagram in RFC 793 it shows that the active closer (the
    first to *issue* a FIN) goes from ESTABLISHED via FIN-WAIT-1, FIN-WAIT-2
    (if the ACK and reverse FIN are received separately), TIME-WAIT, to
    CLOSED. The passive closer (i.e. the first one to *receive* a FIN) goes
    from ESTABLISHED via CLOSE-WAIT and LAST-ACK to CLOSED.

    My question is, why isn't the passive closer considered to be vulnerable
    to the problems which the TIME-WAIT state solves?

    TIA

    EJP

  2. Re: Yet another TIME-WAIT question

    EJP wrote:
    > In the state diagram in RFC 793 it shows that the active closer (the
    > first to *issue* a FIN) goes from ESTABLISHED via FIN-WAIT-1, FIN-WAIT-2
    > (if the ACK and reverse FIN are received separately), TIME-WAIT, to
    > CLOSED. The passive closer (i.e. the first one to *receive* a FIN) goes
    > from ESTABLISHED via CLOSE-WAIT and LAST-ACK to CLOSED.

    > My question is, why isn't the passive closer considered to be vulnerable
    > to the problems which the TIME-WAIT state solves?

    Because it is only necessary to keep the connection state at one end
    of the four-tuple, and the designers were optimisic (my assesment, ok,
    guess I wasn't actually there) that having only one side keep the
    state was sufficient. That one side in TIME_WAIT is there to cover
    both ends.

    rick jones
    where do you want to be today?