Starting the Transition to IPV6 - TCP-IP

This is a discussion on Starting the Transition to IPV6 - TCP-IP ; If our organization obtains a IPV6 number space from ARIN, do we have to immediately give up our existing IPV4 space? We are suspecting that it could take years to completely transition from our 100% IPV4 topology to IPV6 and ...

  1. Starting the Transition to IPV6

    If our organization obtains a IPV6 number space from ARIN, do we have
    to immediately give up our existing IPV4 space?

    We are suspecting that it could take years to completely
    transition from our 100% IPV4 topology to IPV6 and we have close to
    30,000 hosts.

    If this is one of those FAQ's that get asked every other day,
    I seem to have missed it in searches for information, so an apology
    may be in order.

    Many thanks.
    --

    Martin McCormick WB5AGZ Stillwater, OK
    Information Technology Division Network Operations Group

  2. Re: Starting the Transition to IPV6

    Martin McCormick wrote:
    > If our organization obtains a IPV6 number space from ARIN, do we have
    > to immediately give up our existing IPV4 space?

    Gosh, no. In fact, even if you converted your entire internal network
    to IP6 tomorrow, you'll probably have public IP4 addresses for the next
    decade or two. After all, all the IP4 users will still need to be able
    to access your web servers and whatnot.

    > We are suspecting that it could take years to completely
    > transition from our 100% IPV4 topology to IPV6 and we have close to
    > 30,000 hosts.

    Yep. Years.

    I'm curious, though, what are you planning? Dual stack for all new
    machines? IP6 only for (most) new machines? Just dual stacks for
    servers for the time being? The (few) active deployments (as opposed
    to test beds) I'm aware of are just doing dual stacks on servers for
    now, and a few dual stack clients.

  3. Re: Starting the Transition to IPV6

    In article <1149975749.418884.86830@c74g2000cwc.googlegroups.c om>,
    robertwessel2@yahoo.com wrote:

    >> If our organization obtains a IPV6 number space from ARIN, do we have
    >> to immediately give up our existing IPV4 space?

    >Gosh, no. In fact, even if you converted your entire internal network
    >to IP6 tomorrow, you'll probably have public IP4 addresses for the next
    >decade or two. After all, all the IP4 users will still need to be able
    >to access your web servers and whatnot.

    Existence proofs that you can have both IPv4 and IPv6 addresses can
    be found by looking at the IPv4 allocations of organizations that
    have been assigned IPv6 blocks. For example, consider the IP addresses
    of the MX servers for F.ROOT-SERVERS.NET and then check
    204.152.184.0/21 and 2001:04F8:0000:0000:0000:0000:0000:0000/32

    A very quick and superficial check of http://www.arin.net/ immediately found
    http://www.arin.net/registration/ipv6/
    http://www.arin.net/registration/gui...ial_alloc.html
    http://www.arin.net/policy/nrpm.html#six
    Note especially section 6.4.4 of that last document.

    Vernon Schryver vjs@rhyolite.com

  4. Re: Starting the Transition to IPV6

    * Martin McCormick :
    > If our organization obtains a IPV6 number space from ARIN, do we have
    > to immediately give up our existing IPV4 space?

    Definately no. You can run dual-stack (both v4 and v6 in parallel)
    perfectly fine. It's completely independent, technical and policy-wise.

    Best regards,
    Daniel

  5. Re: Starting the Transition to IPV6

    I want to thank everybody who responded by answering my
    questions. When we do get IPV6 Number space, there will be some major
    service such as our web presence or Email server that will be the
    compelling reason for starting down that road. At least I have
    answers now that I didn't have for sure before. Again, many thanks.
    --

    Martin McCormick WB5AGZ Stillwater, OK
    Information Technology Division Network Operations Group

+ Reply to Thread