Default gateway? - TCP-IP

This is a discussion on Default gateway? - TCP-IP ; Hi. We just installed a bunch of Cisco routers and switches (and PHONES!). Anyways, I have 2 sites where users are losing connectivity to the server. Sometimes every 15 minutes, sometimes once every 5 hours. Doesn't appear to be any ...

  1. Default gateway?

    Hi.

    We just installed a bunch of Cisco routers and switches (and PHONES!).
    Anyways, I have 2 sites where users are losing connectivity to the
    server. Sometimes every 15 minutes, sometimes once every 5 hours.
    Doesn't appear to be any pattern. My questions:

    Should the server and client have the same default gateway?
    Would it help if the server had itself as a default gateway?

    I do pings and don't lose packets. It's very random, and is really
    impacting us. The routers and switches don't show any errors. Some of
    the clients hang off the phones, but if one client loses connectivity,
    they all do. This makes me think the problem is on the server or the
    servers connection to the network.

    Any ideas would be great!

    Thanks.

  2. Re: Default gateway?

    In article <1149814188.991162.139440@i40g2000cwc.googlegroups. com>,
    toddnh65@gmail.com wrote:

    > Hi.
    >
    > We just installed a bunch of Cisco routers and switches (and PHONES!).
    > Anyways, I have 2 sites where users are losing connectivity to the
    > server. Sometimes every 15 minutes, sometimes once every 5 hours.
    > Doesn't appear to be any pattern. My questions:
    >
    > Should the server and client have the same default gateway?

    Their default gateway should be the address of the router at their site.
    If the clients and servers are at different locations, they must have
    different default gateways.

    > Would it help if the server had itself as a default gateway?

    No. It needs to send to the router.

    > I do pings and don't lose packets.

    You do these pings from the clients that have lost connectivity, and the
    pings work while the application doesn't? Then it doesn't sound like a
    routing problem. Maybe something is happening with filters.

    > It's very random, and is really
    > impacting us. The routers and switches don't show any errors. Some of
    > the clients hang off the phones, but if one client loses connectivity,
    > they all do. This makes me think the problem is on the server or the
    > servers connection to the network.

    Have you tried using "debug ip packet" on the routers to see if the
    packets are getting to them?

    --
    Barry Margolin, barmar@alum.mit.edu
    Arlington, MA