When i implement TCP/IP,how to test it? - TCP-IP

This is a discussion on When i implement TCP/IP,how to test it? - TCP-IP ; I want to porte LwIP to LPC2138.I use GPRS. If i implement that.How to test the TCP/IP?...

  1. When i implement TCP/IP,how to test it?

    I want to porte LwIP to LPC2138.I use GPRS.
    If i implement that.How to test the TCP/IP?

  2. Re: When i implement TCP/IP,how to test it?

    >I want to porte LwIP to LPC2138.I use GPRS.
    >If i implement that.How to test the TCP/IP?

    IMHO you would not have to test the TCP/IP part provided your port is
    ok but would focus on the physical layer.

    You always could test by building up a connection over GPRS to a
    server in your own lan and watch the traffic there. There will be lots
    of retransmits, lost segments, delays and the like on a GPRS
    connection which is probably not that bat in terms of testing. If you
    are lucky you even see fragmented IP packets coming in - something
    which is often hard to force/test in local lans.

    Another option is to (temporarely) add a network controller chip to
    your hardware and then first test the stack this way. However, from
    experience I thnink that would be disadvantageous because local lans
    are ways faster and many real world issues simply do not happen
    because of this. Just make sure to get a volume agreement with your
    GPRS provider or else the testing will become expensive :-)

    HTH

    Markus

  3. Re: When i implement TCP/IP,how to test it?

    Markus Zingg escreveu:

    > >I want to porte LwIP to LPC2138.I use GPRS.
    > >If i implement that.How to test the TCP/IP?

    > IMHO you would not have to test the TCP/IP part provided your port is
    > ok but would focus on the physical layer.
    >
    > You always could test by building up a connection over GPRS to a
    > server in your own lan and watch the traffic there. There will be lots
    > of retransmits, lost segments, delays and the like on a GPRS
    > connection which is probably not that bat in terms of testing. If you
    > are lucky you even see fragmented IP packets coming in - something
    > which is often hard to force/test in local lans.
    >
    > Another option is to (temporarely) add a network controller chip to
    > your hardware and then first test the stack this way. However, from
    > experience I thnink that would be disadvantageous because local lans
    > are ways faster and many real world issues simply do not happen
    > because of this. Just make sure to get a volume agreement with your
    > GPRS provider or else the testing will become expensive :-)
    >
    > HTH
    >
    > Markus

    Marcus,

    This method would give an overall testing, which is necessary as a
    first step, just because you need the basics to be running to do more
    in deep testing.
    But then you would be bit in the details, like what happens to me, out
    of order packet issues, retransmission timing issues, etc.. The list is
    really big.

    I think the original question is very important, does exists a tcp
    check list for implementations ? Also are there tools that would help
    those testings ?

    Thanks,

+ Reply to Thread