router access from the command prompt - TCP-IP

This is a discussion on router access from the command prompt - TCP-IP ; How do you access the router from the command prompt, please? I know router's IP address and I can access the router from the web browser ..... Thanks in advance! new guy...

  1. router access from the command prompt

    How do you access the router from the command prompt, please?
    I know router's IP address and I can access the router from the web browser

    Thanks in advance!

    new guy

  2. Re: router access from the command prompt

    In article ,
    "new guy" guy@now.anonymous> wrote:

    > How do you access the router from the command prompt, please?
    > I know router's IP address and I can access the router from the web browser

    Some routers don't have a command-line interface. But if it does, you
    usually get there by telnet and/or ssh. So try:

    telnet

    --
    Barry Margolin, barmar@alum.mit.edu
    Arlington, MA

  3. Re: router access from the command prompt

    "Barry Margolin" wrote in message
    > In article ,
    > "new guy" guy@now.anonymous> wrote:
    >
    >> How do you access the router from the command prompt, please?
    >> I know router's IP address and I can access the router from the web
    >> browser

    > Some routers don't have a command-line interface. But if it does, you
    > usually get there by telnet and/or ssh. So try:
    >
    > telnet
    >
    > --
    > Barry Margolin, barmar@alum.mit.edu
    > Arlington, MA

    Thanks for your reply. I tried telnet, but got the message:
    "could not open connection to the host port 23"
    I started the telnet service and disabled firewalls, but no success....
    Don't know how to use ssh, and I guess that will need open port 22

  4. Re: router access from the command prompt

    If you don't know how to use ssl, there is a newsgroup
    'comp.security.ssh' or you could also lookup the 'man ssl' page in your
    shell and read all about it! hope it helps...
    beleave me!
    It helps! Just kiddin, it sometimes does...

  5. Re: router access from the command prompt

    In article ,
    "new guy" guy@now.anonymous> wrote:

    > "Barry Margolin" wrote in message
    > > In article ,
    > > "new guy" guy@now.anonymous> wrote:
    > >
    > >> How do you access the router from the command prompt, please?
    > >> I know router's IP address and I can access the router from the web
    > >> browser

    > > Some routers don't have a command-line interface. But if it does, you
    > > usually get there by telnet and/or ssh. So try:
    > >
    > > telnet
    > >
    > > --
    > > Barry Margolin, barmar@alum.mit.edu
    > > Arlington, MA
    > > *** PLEASE post questions in newsgroups, not directly to me ***
    > > *** PLEASE don't copy me on replies, I'll read them in the group ***

    > Thanks for your reply. I tried telnet, but got the message:
    > "could not open connection to the host port 23"

    Then maybe your router doesn't have a CLI. What kind of router is it?
    Cisco and Juniper routers support it, but most retail broadband routers
    probably don't.

    > I started the telnet service and disabled firewalls, but no success....

    You don't need the telnet service, that's to allow INCOMING telnets to
    your computer.

    > Don't know how to use ssh, and I guess that will need open port 22

    --
    Barry Margolin, barmar@alum.mit.edu
    Arlington, MA

  6. Re: router access from the command prompt

    > Then maybe your router doesn't have a CLI. What kind of router is it?
    > Cisco and Juniper routers support it, but most retail broadband routers
    > probably don't.

    You are right. It's a GNet router. The reason I wanted to access it was to
    practice for CCNA

    >> I started the telnet service and disabled firewalls, but no success....

    > You don't need the telnet service, that's to allow INCOMING telnets to
    > your computer.

    Good point! I was not thinking .....

    Thanks for the help!

    new guy