Resolving IP Addresses - TCP-IP

This is a discussion on Resolving IP Addresses - TCP-IP ; Hi All, I wanted to know whether anyone of you knows any "IP Address -> ISP, Country" database. I am talking of developing a service like http://aruljohn.com/track.html which will require such a database. There is one at http://www.ip2nation.com/ . But ...

  1. Resolving IP Addresses

    Hi All,

    I wanted to know whether anyone of you knows any "IP Address -> ISP,
    Country" database.

    I am talking of developing a service like
    http://aruljohn.com/track.html which will require such a database.

    There is one at http://www.ip2nation.com/ . But it only provides the
    IP->Country mapping.

    I'll be happy if someone of you can post a link to such a FREE database
    online.

  2. Re: Resolving IP Addresses

    In article <1148060403.671818.233120@38g2000cwa.googlegroups.c om>,
    Shivam wrote:
    >I wanted to know whether anyone of you knows any "IP Address -> ISP,
    >Country" database.

    It cannot be done in the general case. If I'm visiting a different
    country and dial up to my system at work, then the IP address I get
    is one from work, not one that reflects the country I happen to be
    calling from.

    There are a number of services that offer semi-reasonable approximations.

    >I am talking of developing a service like
    >http://aruljohn.com/track.html which will require such a database.

    That system doesn't return information about the ISP: it returns
    information about who the address block is registered to.
    For example, if I enter one of my work IP addresses, then I
    get information about the name of our organization, since that
    particular block is registered to us. But that doesn't say anything
    about who our ISP is. I don't even -know- who our ISP is these days,
    as the local consortium contracts out ISP service on multiyear bids,
    with no visible effect on our service.

+ Reply to Thread