How to use snoop to check drop connection or other utility - TCP-IP

This is a discussion on How to use snoop to check drop connection or other utility - TCP-IP ; I am having problem with inconsistent connection to a solaris 8 system. I use telnet from my pc and drops and /or delays connection. I also use gui application to that solaris system and loses connection but has the capabiltity ...

  1. How to use snoop to check drop connection or other utility

    I am having problem with inconsistent connection to a solaris 8 system.

    I use telnet from my pc and drops and /or delays connection.
    I also use gui application to that solaris system and loses connection
    but has the
    capabiltity of reconnecting automaticaly.

    Now when I use the snoop
    >snoop -d interface1 -D

    I do see drop packets but when i compare the connection to another good
    connection
    solaris it also shows drop packets.

    What I am trying to ask is can someone give me hints how to look into a
    drop or bad connections or is there better utility other then snoop.

    I am trying to convince a customer site IT guy, which I need to prove
    that to him first that
    its their network and not my solaris system

    thanks in advance

    bye
    Rashid

  2. Re: How to use snoop to check drop connection or other utility

    rashidaq@gmail.com wrote:
    > I am having problem with inconsistent connection to a solaris 8 system.
    >
    > I use telnet from my pc and drops and /or delays connection.
    > I also use gui application to that solaris system and loses connection
    > but has the
    > capabiltity of reconnecting automaticaly.
    >
    > Now when I use the snoop
    >> snoop -d interface1 -D

    > I do see drop packets but when i compare the connection to another good
    > connection
    > solaris it also shows drop packets.
    >
    > What I am trying to ask is can someone give me hints how to look into a
    > drop or bad connections or is there better utility other then snoop.
    >
    > I am trying to convince a customer site IT guy, which I need to prove
    > that to him first that
    > its their network and not my solaris system
    >
    > thanks in advance
    >
    > bye
    > Rashid

    Capture with snoop (using the -o file) option, then use ethereal
    to try to understand what you captured.

  3. Re: How to use snoop to check drop connection or other utility

    Rashid,

    rashidaq@gmail.com wrote:
    > I am having problem with inconsistent connection to a solaris 8 system.
    >
    > I use telnet from my pc and drops and /or delays connection.
    > I also use gui application to that solaris system and loses connection
    > but has the
    > capabiltity of reconnecting automaticaly.
    >
    > Now when I use the snoop
    >> snoop -d interface1 -D

    > I do see drop packets but when i compare the connection to another good
    > connection
    > solaris it also shows drop packets.
    >
    > What I am trying to ask is can someone give me hints how to look into a
    > drop or bad connections or is there better utility other then snoop.
    >
    > I am trying to convince a customer site IT guy, which I need to prove
    > that to him first that
    > its their network and not my solaris system
    >
    > thanks in advance
    >
    > bye
    > Rashid

    It's probably a speed/duplex mismatch between your host's NIC and the
    attached network switch, if you're seeing errors reported with "netstat
    -i". One option, is to force both ends to 100/full. On Solaris, you
    can do this in the /etc/system file or through an ndd script. Google
    should provide all of the resources necessary.

    Roy

+ Reply to Thread