My ISP is giving my an IP address with x.x.255.x - TCP-IP

This is a discussion on My ISP is giving my an IP address with x.x.255.x - TCP-IP ; I started having problems connecting to a PPTP vpn endpoint, then I had problems connecting to my computer remotely using DDNS and Remote Desktop, a configuration that has worked for several years. That's when I noticed that my ISP is ...

  1. My ISP is giving my an IP address with x.x.255.x

    I started having problems connecting to a PPTP vpn endpoint, then I had
    problems connecting to my computer remotely using DDNS and Remote
    Desktop, a configuration that has worked for several years. That's when
    I noticed that my ISP is giving me a strange IP address:
    IP:x.x.255.x subnet: 255.255.240.0

    I think the .255 in the third octect is the problem. Is there anything
    I can do about this?
    I already tried a /release /renew

    Thanks

  2. Re: My ISP is giving my an IP address with x.x.255.x

    In article <1146873844.505578.133470@j73g2000cwa.googlegroups. com>,
    rjmnyc@optonline.net wrote:

    > I started having problems connecting to a PPTP vpn endpoint, then I had
    > problems connecting to my computer remotely using DDNS and Remote
    > Desktop, a configuration that has worked for several years. That's when
    > I noticed that my ISP is giving me a strange IP address:
    > IP:x.x.255.x subnet: 255.255.240.0
    >
    > I think the .255 in the third octect is the problem. Is there anything
    > I can do about this?
    > I already tried a /release /renew

    There's nothing wrong with .255 in the third octet. If the remote
    system doesn't like it, that's a bug there.

    --
    Barry Margolin, barmar@alum.mit.edu
    Arlington, MA

  3. Re: My ISP is giving my an IP address with x.x.255.x

    I uninstalled the Cisco VPN client and now I can connect to my PPTP vpn
    endpoints.
    I'll test the remote access to my pc when I'm at work.

    Thanks

+ Reply to Thread