Re: Strange MSS problem - TCP-IP

This is a discussion on Re: Strange MSS problem - TCP-IP ; Michael wrote: > If I understand this correctly, it is not up to my gateway to send > these packets either. I did a heap of reading on the subject and > apparently the router that is incapable of accepting ...

  1. Re: Strange MSS problem

    Michael wrote:
    > If I understand this correctly, it is not up to my gateway to send
    > these packets either. I did a heap of reading on the subject and
    > apparently the router that is incapable of accepting or forwarding a
    > given packet (for size) should drop the packet and send the ICMP
    > unreachable packet. My gateway *can't* be the cause according to
    > this because it never receives these data packets back and can
    > receive 1460 byte packets from elsewhere. Perhaps there is something
    > I am missing?

    I believe your are not understanding correctly.

    Your gateway is, for all incense and porpoises the first hop IP
    router. The MTU on your gateway's LAN interface is (likely) 1500
    bytes. The interface on its PPP (or whatever) interface is
    smaller. As such, when it receives an IP datagram with the DF bit set,
    and forwarding that datagram would require fragmentation, it is
    required by the IP spec to send to the src an ICMP "Datagram Too Big,
    DF set" message with the size that _would_ fit without fragmentation.

    It may be doing NAT, it may even be doing proxy, but it is doing all
    of that transparantly, which means it is pretending to be an IP router
    and must behave accordingly.

    rick jones

  2. Re: Strange MSS problem

    In article ,
    Rick Jones wrote:

    > Michael wrote:
    > > If I understand this correctly, it is not up to my gateway to send
    > > these packets either. I did a heap of reading on the subject and
    > > apparently the router that is incapable of accepting or forwarding a
    > > given packet (for size) should drop the packet and send the ICMP
    > > unreachable packet. My gateway *can't* be the cause according to
    > > this because it never receives these data packets back and can
    > > receive 1460 byte packets from elsewhere. Perhaps there is something
    > > I am missing?

    > I believe your are not understanding correctly.
    >
    > Your gateway is, for all incense and porpoises the first hop IP
    > router. The MTU on your gateway's LAN interface is (likely) 1500
    > bytes. The interface on its PPP (or whatever) interface is
    > smaller. As such, when it receives an IP datagram with the DF bit set,
    > and forwarding that datagram would require fragmentation, it is
    > required by the IP spec to send to the src an ICMP "Datagram Too Big,
    > DF set" message with the size that _would_ fit without fragmentation.

    Actually, I think he's right. Your response would be correct if he were
    having problems uploading to the Internet. But IIRC his failures are
    with downloads, so the router at the other end of his PPPoE link is the
    one that should be sending the ICMP messages back to the remote server.

    --
    Barry Margolin, barmar@alum.mit.edu
    Arlington, MA

  3. Re: Strange MSS problem

    Barry Margolin wrote:
    > Actually, I think he's right. Your response would be correct if he
    > were having problems uploading to the Internet. But IIRC his
    > failures are with downloads, so the router at the other end of his
    > PPPoE link is the one that should be sending the ICMP messages back
    > to the remote server.

    Looking back, I believe you are right.

    rick jones

    I can only imagine the fun of finding where along the path between the
    router at the other end of his link, and the traffic source(s) the
    ICMP's, if they are indeed being sent, are being "filtered."

  4. Re: Strange MSS problem

    On Tue, 02 May 2006 00:48:27 +0000, Rick Jones wrote:

    > Barry Margolin wrote:
    >> Actually, I think he's right. Your response would be correct if he
    >> were having problems uploading to the Internet. But IIRC his
    >> failures are with downloads, so the router at the other end of his
    >> PPPoE link is the one that should be sending the ICMP messages back
    >> to the remote server.

    > Looking back, I believe you are right.
    >

    > rick jones
    >
    > I can only imagine the fun of finding where along the path between the
    > router at the other end of his link, and the traffic source(s) the
    > ICMP's, if they are indeed being sent, are being "filtered."

    Finally my provider (& coworkers) admitted there is a problem and they're
    investigating... You're all right on the money with the PMTu thing. Cheers

+ Reply to Thread