NEED Help on packet switching(layer-3 switching) - TCP-IP

This is a discussion on NEED Help on packet switching(layer-3 switching) - TCP-IP ; Hi, I'm new to computer networks and I'm confused by packet switching. Since data are fragmented into frames on layer-2 for transmission(as far as I know), does this mean layer-3 switches need to buffer frames, reassemble them into packets, do ...

  1. NEED Help on packet switching(layer-3 switching)

    Hi,

    I'm new to computer networks and I'm confused by packet switching. Since data are fragmented into frames on layer-2 for transmission(as far as I know), does this mean layer-3 switches need to buffer frames, reassemble them into packets, do the switching/routing thing and then fragment packet into frames to transmit to the next destination?

    I'm also not sure if the switches we buy from stores are layer-3(packet switching ?) or layer-2 switches(MAC address switch?) ?

    Thanks for any help
    Keith

  2. Re: NEED Help on packet switching(layer-3 switching)

    hi, i'm trying to broadband a internet connection through my 3com 4500 switch but not reaching.

    situation: internet adsl router, my computer nic card must have ip 200.161.131.72 and gateway 200.161.131.65 for internet connection.

    can i plug the internet router directly to 3com switch to broadband connection ?

    i've tried this, put 200.161.131.72 for switch ip address; 200.161.131.65 and my internal lan 200.161.131.0 in the switch static routing table and nothing happens

    what would be the appropriate configuration for this situation ?

    thanks

+ Reply to Thread