Can a Ping result of "127.0.0.1" be considered as normal? - TCP-IP

This is a discussion on Can a Ping result of "127.0.0.1" be considered as normal? - TCP-IP ; Dear all, Recently my PC acting up. It refused to let me accessing gmail.com and groups.google.com I can, however, access www.google.com without any problem. To find out what happened, I did a "ping" job, on google, as well as on ...

  1. Can a Ping result of "127.0.0.1" be considered as normal?

    Dear all,

    Recently my PC acting up. It refused to let me accessing gmail.com and
    groups.google.com

    I can, however, access www.google.com without any problem.

    To find out what happened, I did a "ping" job, on google, as well as
    on yahoo, slashdot, kernel.org and microsoft.

    For all the sites that I pinged, they returned normal IP address.
    However, the result from www.google.com, www.google.com.au, www.google.co.uk
    all returned the "127.0.0.1" result !!

    I am guessing that perhaps this is the reason why I can't access
    gmail, because gmail's full address is googlemail.1.google.com and if
    google.com returns 127.0.0.1 (the internal address of all PC), my PC
    of course can't locate googlemail.1.google.com !!

    But how come when I input www.google.com or www.google.com.au or
    www.google.co.uk the browser brings me to the right place ??

    Can anyone here help me figure out what is wrong with my computer,
    please?

    Thank you all !

  2. Re: Can a Ping result of "127.0.0.1" be considered as normal?

    hsyq8xg@gmail.com wrote:
    > Dear all,
    >
    > Recently my PC acting up. It refused to let me accessing gmail.com and
    > groups.google.com
    >
    > I can, however, access www.google.com without any problem.
    >
    > To find out what happened, I did a "ping" job, on google, as well as
    > on yahoo, slashdot, kernel.org and microsoft.
    >
    > For all the sites that I pinged, they returned normal IP address.
    > However, the result from www.google.com, www.google.com.au, www.google.co.uk
    > all returned the "127.0.0.1" result !!
    >
    > I am guessing that perhaps this is the reason why I can't access
    > gmail, because gmail's full address is googlemail.1.google.com and if
    > google.com returns 127.0.0.1 (the internal address of all PC), my PC
    > of course can't locate googlemail.1.google.com !!
    >
    > But how come when I input www.google.com or www.google.com.au or
    > www.google.co.uk the browser brings me to the right place ??
    >
    > Can anyone here help me figure out what is wrong with my computer,
    > please?
    >
    > Thank you all !

    OH MY GOD!! YOU ARE IN GRAVE DANGER!! GET AWAY FROM
    YOUR COMPUTER NOW!! DON'T TOUCH IT!! RUN TURN OFF
    THE MAINS IMMEDIATELY!! CALL THE FIRE BRIGADE NOW!!
    SAVE YOURSELF AND YOUR NEIGHBORS, DO THE RIGHT THING!!

    TDD

  3. Re: Can a Ping result of "127.0.0.1" be considered as normal?

    In comp.os.linux.misc hsyq8xg@gmail.com wrote:
    > Recently my PC acting up. It refused to let me accessing gmail.com and
    > groups.google.com

    You've cross-posted to a mixture of Linux-specific groups and
    Windows-specific groups. What OS are you actually running?

    > [...] gmail's full address is googlemail.1.google.com and if
    > google.com returns 127.0.0.1 [...], my PC of course can't locate
    > googlemail.1.google.com !!

    That doesn't follow.

    Chris

  4. Re: Can a Ping result of "127.0.0.1" be considered as normal?

    [follow up set to alt.2600]

    hsyq8xg@gmail.com wrote:

    > Dear all,
    >
    > Recently my PC acting up. It refused to let me accessing gmail.com and
    > groups.google.com
    >
    > I can, however, access www.google.com without any problem.
    >
    > To find out what happened, I did a "ping" job, on google, as well as
    > on yahoo, slashdot, kernel.org and microsoft.
    >
    > For all the sites that I pinged, they returned normal IP address.
    > However, the result from www.google.com, www.google.com.au,
    > www.google.co.uk all returned the "127.0.0.1" result !!
    >
    > I am guessing that perhaps this is the reason why I can't access
    > gmail, because gmail's full address is googlemail.1.google.com and if
    > google.com returns 127.0.0.1 (the internal address of all PC), my PC
    > of course can't locate googlemail.1.google.com !!
    >
    > But how come when I input www.google.com or www.google.com.au or
    > www.google.co.uk the browser brings me to the right place ??
    >
    > Can anyone here help me figure out what is wrong with my computer,
    > please?

    Sounds like you or someone else has been playing with your hosts file.
    --
    Froz...

  5. Re: Can a Ping result of "127.0.0.1" be considered as normal?

    Chris Davies wrote:
    > In comp.os.linux.misc hsyq8xg@gmail.com wrote:
    >> Recently my PC acting up. It refused to let me accessing gmail.com and
    >> groups.google.com

    > You've cross-posted to a mixture of Linux-specific groups and
    > Windows-specific groups. What OS are you actually running?
    >

    >> [...] gmail's full address is googlemail.1.google.com and if
    >> google.com returns 127.0.0.1 [...], my PC of course can't locate
    >> googlemail.1.google.com !!

    > That doesn't follow.

    Sounds like a Windows user.

+ Reply to Thread