What do you call the keyword in a domain name? - TCP-IP

This is a discussion on What do you call the keyword in a domain name? - TCP-IP ; What is the official name of keyword in a domain name? What do you call the keyword in a domain name? Say, www.google.com , www.yahoo.com , www.facebook.com , www.msn.com.hk , www.example.org.de , what do you call "google", "yahoo", "facebook", "msn", ...

  1. What do you call the keyword in a domain name?

    What is the official name of keyword in a domain name? What do you
    call the keyword in a domain name? Say, www.google.com, www.yahoo.com,
    www.facebook.com, www.msn.com.hk, www.example.org.de, what do you call
    "google", "yahoo", "facebook", "msn", "example" in these domain names?
    What term do they have?

  2. Re: What do you call the keyword in a domain name?

    In article
    ,
    Phper wrote:

    > What is the official name of keyword in a domain name? What do you
    > call the keyword in a domain name? Say, www.google.com, www.yahoo.com,
    > www.facebook.com, www.msn.com.hk, www.example.org.de, what do you call
    > "google", "yahoo", "facebook", "msn", "example" in these domain names?
    > What term do they have?

    Each piece of a domain name is called a label. So www.google.com
    consists of three labels: "www", "google", and "com".

    See RFC 1034.

    --
    Barry Margolin, barmar@alum.mit.edu
    Arlington, MA