Source port of 1079 (asprovatalk) to destination port 1025 (blackjack) - required for Microsoft Windows networking? - TCP-IP

This is a discussion on Source port of 1079 (asprovatalk) to destination port 1025 (blackjack) - required for Microsoft Windows networking? - TCP-IP ; Gurus, I have a small network of machines all running on the same subnet, running TCP/IP. There is no and has never been any connection to the Internet or to other subnets for any of them. I'm starting to analyze ...

  1. Source port of 1079 (asprovatalk) to destination port 1025 (blackjack) - required for Microsoft Windows networking?

    Gurus,

    I have a small network of machines all running on the same subnet, running
    TCP/IP. There is no and has never been any connection to the Internet or to
    other subnets for any of them. I'm starting to analyze TCP/IP traces using
    wireshark to get a better fell of the normal kinds of traffic Microsoft
    Windows machines send each other. One thing I couldn't figure out was
    traffic generated from a source port of 1079 (asprovatalk) on one machine to
    destination port 1025 (blackjack) on another. Curious, because these ports
    aren't required by Microsoft Windows networking - at least not that I've
    ever read about.

    --
    Spin

  2. Re: Source port of 1079 (asprovatalk) to destination port 1025(blackjack) - required for Microsoft Windows networking?

    On Tue, 07 Oct 2008 10:16:18 -0400, Spin wrote:

    > Gurus,
    >
    > I have a small network of machines all running on the same subnet,
    > running TCP/IP. There is no and has never been any connection to the
    > Internet or to other subnets for any of them. I'm starting to analyze
    > TCP/IP traces using wireshark to get a better fell of the normal kinds
    > of traffic Microsoft Windows machines send each other. One thing I
    > couldn't figure out was traffic generated from a source port of 1079
    > (asprovatalk) on one machine to destination port 1025 (blackjack) on
    > another. Curious, because these ports aren't required by Microsoft
    > Windows networking - at least not that I've ever read about.

    AFAIK port 1025 is used by Windows for some kind of RPC.

    M4

+ Reply to Thread